• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zj questions again

Benhoward384

Alright so my T-Case blew on my grand cherokee after wheeling today it has the NP249. Can I just bolt a NP242 in or do I have to have a functional 249 to mesh with the 242?

Did it blow apart or break internally?

You need a 242 or 231 (preferred) with a "medium" length 23 spline input. By medium length I mean the input shaft should stick oit from the seal about .750 inches. 94-95 V8s use the long input that sticks out 1.25 inches from the seal and 96-98 V8 ZJs use the medium length.

Also, make sure depth of the hole in the input is at least 2 inches deep! It does not have to be splined all the way, just 2 inches of depth for the transmission output to fit all the way in. I found a medium length 23 spline 242 and it did not work as the input bore was only an inch or so deep.

On another note you can get away with running a short input on the V8 ZJ. It will only stick out like a quarter of an inch from the seal. You still have an inch of spline engagement and I never broke the one I ran that way. I'd still shoot for a medium input with the proper bore depth.

Are you screwed for transportation while this rig is down? If you need a t-case to get you around I've got a 249 out of my 96 ZJ buggy you can have.

Yes it blew apart internally. Yes it's my only rig right now so I'm screwed. So that would be awesome if I could get that from you.