• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zj questions

Benhoward384

Just bought my old Jeep back. Lifted and locked 97 ZJ. Has stock Dana 30 up front. Curious to know what axle length I need to swap the front out. Thinking about doing a dana 44 up front. Are all 44s the same length and have any other suggestions for axle swap up front? Thanks guys.

No, not all 44 are the same---and some are even high pinion...bolt patterns are also different...
best bet if you want a bolt in front 44 for a zj is to hit up places like this...http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-...le-Assemblies.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=475&t_pt=100714
You can get and install something yourself with enough time, but by the time it's in, unless you are really good at fabbing the necessary brackets, etc...it's likely the rig will handle terrible, plus you still need to deal with wheel bolt pattern, plus regearing, locker or limited slip carrier, etc....... my .02..

So like everything else it requires, time and money. It eventually will just be my toy but for now it serves dual purpose of toy/daily driver. Well thanks for the info..

I would leave the 30 up front for now. Buying or building a good long arm suspension for it is a higher priority.

Do you have the V8 model?

What parts are under it now?

I would leave the 30 up front for now. Buying or building a good long arm suspension for it is a higher priority.

X2 id leave the 30 up front untill you absolutley need to split with it. those 30s are stronger than most people think and if i was going to go through the hastle of swapping to a different axle with all the bracketry and suspension built around the existing stock configuration i would do nothing other than a dana60.... it will always be better a better choice in the long run. Do it right and and do it once, just my 2centz though

goodluck with the build

Here are some pics. Hatch has been replaced recently
Jeep1.jpg

OldJeep.jpg

OldJeep2.jpg