• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brads buggy / car build

the camaro stock replacement shortys are cool, vetts are shaped different and a little more. I have some mac's mid length if you want that route made to fit an F body. lots of **** on LS1tech.com. Ask jims garage what he does. he had some block huggers he made work. another thing to look at is the impala 5.3 manifolds. they rear exit and converge behind the engine above the bellhousing. perfect for a buggy.

i used the stock manifolds. I was going to use the vette stockers, but they wouldnt work for me. I have heard of some people using the stock truck manifolds and milling out the inside for more flow, not sure how much though.

Brian

I used an F body manifold on the P side and the stock truck manifold on the drivers. Speedway motors has some nice center dumps for LS1s and they are afforable

I need help I'm to the point where I have to start making things fit.
1. passenger seat tight but will make work.
2. stupid 4 link calculator says I don't have flex steer, but I do.
3. My 8274 want fit where I want it. so I gotz to buy a smaller winch.

Questions????
1. Whats the measurement to the bottom of your axle tube with 39.5 tires?
2. where should I measure to get the best center of gravity measurment ?Ex. top bolt on trans, center rear tranfer case out put,
3. will a radiator from a 88 Z71 cool enough?

we need pics... in all honesty about the COG is the parts are only going to fit where they will fit... i mean if the COG calculator said to move your engine up or down 3", could you??? no... its only going in one spot... put it there and compensate for it w/ limiting straps, winch suck down tactics, whatever... there is no perfect setup... i bet if you started analyzing "pro" rigs, they have much to be desired, maybe not, but you are turning into randy morris... molaugh

kid rok said:
Questions????
1. Whats the measurement to the bottom of your axle tube with 39.5 tires?

My buggy on 39" red labels & WE beadlocks is 17"s to the bottom of Dana60's axle tubes, if thats any help

Oh and that is at 12psi. :flipoff1: RickyB ;D

we need pics... in all honesty about the COG is the parts are only going to fit where they will fit... i mean if the COG calculator said to move your engine up or down 3", could you??? no... its only going in one spot... put it there and compensate for it w/ limiting straps, winch suck down tactics, whatever... there is no perfect setup... i bet if you started analyzing "pro" rigs, they have much to be desired, maybe not, but you are turning into randy morris...
Quit gaying my build thread up laughing1
I know what your saying, hell I can't move anything but a few inches here and there. Freaking 5.3 is tall as ****. It actually bolted up and fit well. I just don't want to get done and say why didn't I take a little more time to move that.
Wyatt thanks for the info.

Pirate 60 bible says 60 axles tubes are 3.125". So if your tires are truely 39.5" tall, half of that is 19.75", minus half of the axle tube(1.5625") so it should be 18.1875" to the bottom of the tube. I think that's right? :dunno:

Speeding said:
Pirate 60 bible says 60 axles tubes are 3.125". So if your tires are truely 39.5" tall, half of that is 19.75", minus half of the axle tube(1.5625") so it should be 18.1875" to the bottom of the tube. I think that's right? :dunno:

You've got some light fingers there Ricky!

Ricky what tire is perfectly round at the bottom with weight on them? Now I need to edit my post to say at 12psi. :flipoff1:

Ricky what tire is perfectly round at the bottom with weight on them? Now I need to edit my post to say at 12psi.
I took all that into consideration.

draggbody said:
we need pics... in all honesty about the COG is the parts are only going to fit where they will fit... i mean if the COG calculator said to move your engine up or down 3", could you??? no... its only going in one spot... put it there and compensate for it w/ limiting straps, winch suck down tactics, whatever... there is no perfect setup... i bet if you started analyzing "pro" rigs, they have much to be desired, maybe not, but you are turning into randy morris... molaugh

If he was turning into me he would have drawn it up in CAD, checked for at least 30 different mounting locations for optimum COG, do a Finite Element Analysis on engine mounting points, and checked the chassis' resonance frequency at varying engine RPM's. ;D

MMountain said:
If he was turning into me he would have drawn it up in CAD, checked for at least 30 different mounting locations for optimum COG, do a Finite Element Analysis on engine mounting points, and checked the chassis' resonance frequency at varying engine RPM's. ;D

hahaha

blacksheep10 said:
sooooooo, put it where it fits. get the most uptravel you can, offset iff need be, high roll centers, double triangulate where you can, stop taking breaks to worry about ****. :woody:

x one million... it will tell you were it wants things.... they speak to you when you get that involved :eek:

It speaks to me often. and never speaks in anger. I love the way the metal burns me when I touch a piece of tube I just welded and forgot about. I love the way the sparks bounce of the tube and landin my ear socket.I love my buggy, I love the way the welder sparks before I'm ready and temporarily blinds me I love the way the bugs are seduced by the light of the welder at 1 am and land all over me. I love how my tube notcher binds up and bout breaks my wrist. I love my buggy. I love the way the metal prics my fingers and bleed I love the way the tube lands on my toes. I love my buggy.
Buggy poem by Brad. inspired by the buggy.

I think I have my 4 link in the rear figured out. very little flex steer and low anti squat #'s loller.gif

kid rok said:
It speaks to me often. and never speaks in anger. I love the way the metal burns me when I touch a piece of tube I just welded and forgot about. I love the way the sparks bounce of the tube and landin my ear socket.I love my buggy, I love the way the welder sparks before I'm ready and temporarily blinds me I love the way the bugs are seduced by the light of the welder at 1 am and land all over me. I love how my tube notcher binds up and bout breaks my wrist. I love my buggy. I love the way the metal prics my fingers and bleed I love the way the tube lands on my toes. I love my buggy.
Buggy poem by Brad. inspired by the buggy.

I think I have my 4 link in the rear figured out. very little flex steer and low anti squat #'s loller.gif

Don't get your **** stuck.

Wheelbase 108.0 in Upper Links x y z Anti-Squat 93 %
Tire Diameter 40.00 in Frame End 30.50 14.00 25.00 in Roll Center Height 26 in
Tire Rolling Radius 19.00 in Axle End 0.00 4.00 26.00 in Roll Axis Angle -3 degrees (Roll Understeer)
Vehicle CG Height 40.00 in Lower Links x y z Instant Center X-Axis 63 in
Vehicle Mass 4,200 lb Frame End 38.00 6.00 21.75 in Instant Center Z-Axis 24 in
Front Unsprung Mass 800 lb Axle End 4.00 18.50 18.75 in
Rear Unsprung Mass 700 lb

Ha to all ya nay sayers look at these #'s :flipoff1: