• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Control?

skipnrocks

What do you use on your buggy is to turn the electric fans on and off? Do you just use the switch when they're always on? Or do use a controller?

my taurus fan is wired to come on with ignition like rusty said..... i have an override switch to turn on the high side when it starts to get hotter than i like

Taurus fan, two temp sensors for hi and lo speed, on-off-on switch to force hi or lo but NOT cut off fan. All run through ignition with relays.

If u got a reputable harness/computer done it should have a wire deticated for fans. Depending on the programmer they come on at 210?

skipnrocks said:
It's on an lq4.

Your ECM has the ability to control 2 fans independently in stock form using only the factory coolant temp sensor. It doesn't get simpler than that.

patooyee said:
Your ECM has the ability to control 2 fans independently in stock form using only the factory coolant temp sensor. It doesn't get simpler than that.

Does it require special programming? Would they have removed the electrical to make it possible when jims performance cut the harness down.

Depends on what ECM you are using, but assuming its the 411 ECM out of a truck the wiring was probably never there to begin with. You have to add one pin & wire if you want one fan / single speed and a second if you want a second fan / 2 speed. There are tons of threads / pages on the internet about where they need to be added and such. And yeah, there is a software switch that needs to be flipped in the programming. You might ask Jim's if they know if yours is on or not. It can be on right now without affecting anything so they may turn them all on in case the end user wants the ECM to control it. I don't know what Jim's does there.

I need to switch mine back to power on w/ ignition. I have a bad habit of forgetting to turn it on but my 4.2 has toughed it out so far.

The control I run is a Volvo relay pack and a dual temp sensor from a VW. Works great as long as I switch the main power on.

Re:

I have mine on toggles, dual radiator fans and trans cooler fan, but also have 210*f grounding switches in the trans and the head so if I forget it won't cook it. I do occasionally fordots!!!