• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

good luck on ____ at harbor freight...

Does anyone have either of these pneumatic grease guns? I have a bunch of greasing to do soon ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-grease-gun-219.html
image_18365.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-grease-gun-with-12-in-hose-68293.html
image_19211.jpg

I have the black one (the more expensive one)

Works good, I use it to grease the 11 grease points on the steering/suspension on the front of my chevy every time I change the oil.

Torque wrench is a big negative. Got home after the last ride and it was in pieces , the inside had fallen out. Just from being in a toolbox. Funny Part is I cannot find the pieces that fell out. Ha. Sucks balls don't waste your money

I steer clear of ALL air tools from HF, and MOST electric ones. Only thing thats ever lasted more than a couple weeks without me having to nigrig it was the portaband. And even that only lasts a few months. The roller guides don't have bearings, they're just plastic inside and prone to wear.

Re: Re: good luck on ____ at harbor freight...

5BrothersFabrication said:
I steer clear of ALL air tools from HF, and MOST electric ones. Only thing thats ever lasted more than a couple weeks without me having to nigrig it was the portaband. And even that only lasts a few months. The roller guides don't have bearings, they're just plastic inside and prone to wear.
I've never found any pneumatics power tools there that were with a **** either. That's why I asked about the grease guns. Every electric or pneumatic tool I've ever bought normally breaks the first day.

kushKrawlin said:
Torque wrench is a big negative. Got home after the last ride and it was in pieces , the inside had fallen out. Just from being in a toolbox. Funny Part is I cannot find the pieces that fell out. Ha. Sucks balls don't waste your money
I have the torque wrench also. It will unscrew and come apart fairly easily.

Air tools? Earthquake gun? On 170 psi it will ****ing kill some ****.
I have a couple pneumatics from them, good luck for the most part
I have the high speed electric die grinder, pretty much a 4" grinder body with a straight shaft off it and a 1/4" arbor. Gets the **** with it with good carbide in the arbor

On grease guns you will want to look for one that will pump continuous with a single trigger pull. Working on Heavy Equiment I have seen a few of the cheaper ones fly over the hill because people did not know what they were buying

I have that half inch electric impact, electric grinder, 3 ton floor jack, and bought a motorcycle jack a few months ago that is really handy and works great. Also have the fold up engine hoist, that has been a damn good one. Oh and the 5 drawer tool box with ball bearing drawers that I couldn't imagine being any better quality. Read reviews on the items before you buy and they will usually end up being a decent investment for non commercial use.

Things I like:
Chop saw (needs a better blade)
53" tool box with the topper (great purchase when on sale)
impact sockets, extensions, breaker bars
auto tint welding helmet (cheap but works great)

Don't like:
4" angle grinder (lasted a few months and the bearings were shot after grinding 4 wheels to reweld for DIY beadlocks)
3" pneumatic cutoff wheel
table top drill press (works ok for small jobs)

Wants:
I'd like to get there large orange jack stands. I think they are 10 or 12 ton. My local store never has them in stock. Had a buddy with a set and they are the only ones I can find cheap that are tall enough to stand on the floor and reach the frame to hold up a rig.
20 ton press.
band saw
port-o-power
3 ton floor jack (my little giant or whatever brand Tractor supply carries already bleeds off with a load on it and I've only had it a couple of years with little use.)

I have the 20-ton press, bought it about 15 years ago. The frame is somewhat flimsy for such a powerful cylinder. I've warped mine all to hell. Building a new frame is one of the many things on my mythical to-do list. The original jack that came with it seems to have been a great jack. I carry it on my big trailer to jack it up on the side of the highway when I blow out tires. It lifts the 6500 lbs trailer and both rigs on it with ease. I put one of their early pneumatic over hydro jacks on the press. It died only 2 years after I got it. I replaced it with another apparently new version and it seems to be doing fine. If I were starting over I would just buy the 20-ton air/hydro jack and build my own frame from scratch. The air/hydro jack is nice because cranking on the manual pump gets old fast and it also gives you a little distance to stand away from the press when you're really using all the power in case something shatters and creates shrapnel.

al1tonyota said:
I have one that looks just like the grey one, like mentioned it is a one shot per pull so you work the old finger out good with a lot of greasing!

Good info, thanks!

TBItoy said:
I have the black one (the more expensive one)

Works good, I use it to grease the 11 grease points on the steering/suspension on the front of my chevy every time I change the oil.

Does the black one grease continuously or once per pull?

NM, the descriptions of both say. I should learn to read. The black one is continuous.

I got the black grease gun, got it to the shop, couldn't get any grease to come out. I figured maybe the check valve in the end of the hose needs to be depressed. So I hooked it up to a grease zerk and still nothing. Tried to pull it off, it was stuck on. No amount of force would get it off so I unscrewed it to take it apart. Everything inside spring out and flew everywhere, I could only find half the pieces. But I figure what the hell, no check valve now, grease should come out, right? Wrong. Nothing. I'll take it back tonight, get an exchange.

after you exchange it. check the seal on the rod. if its flipped forward it is set up to run bulk grease instead of a cartridge. if that's the case flip it backwards lip toward the rod and it should work fine.

HF things that dont suck,
-jack stands
-jacks
-mallets
-step drill bits
-20 Ton press
-welding wire
-welding magnets
-loading ramps
-wire loom
-spring loaded center punch
-dolly carts (of course they are rated to 1000lbs) 2 of mine are warped and dont roll so well after having a D60 front axle sitting on it for a month) skully
-tarps (they fall apart after 1 season though)
-digital angle finder
- I have an HVLP spray gun that appears to actually be good, but too soon to tell)
-roll around stool to park ass on.

Things that suck ass'
-grinder wheels, cut off wheels, flap disks
-swivel air fitting with built in regulator (I should have known not to buy this, leaked the second I put air to it)
-Air staple gun. Worked great initially, but by the time I finished recovering 1 dirt bike seat, it was bringing the suck. I was able to rig it, but...I know I'll need it again someday and wish I had just bought a quality unit.

Most everything else, Im too afraid to try because I know what the result will be. Tools especially precision tools it isnt worth it. I have good luck with Craftsman and they arent that much coin.
12 years ago or so, I bout a welding blanket from HF, it was a green color, it worked great and wasnt full of fibers. A couple years ago, I bought another. This time it was a yellow color and works fine, BUT it is FULL of fibers. I did some research and bought a Steiner velvet welding blanket. Best thing I ever did!

SHELBS44 said:
after you exchange it. check the seal on the rod. if its flipped forward it is set up to run bulk grease instead of a cartridge. if that's the case flip it backwards lip toward the rod and it should work fine.

I'm convinced this is the biggest piece of **** I've ever bought at HF now. I got the new one and it worked for about 3 minutes and then quit. The nozzle has the same issue of getting stuck on the fittings. I took it apart and the seal is in the right way. Waste of life.

patooyee said:
I'm convinced this is the biggest piece of **** I've ever bought at HF now. I got the new one and it worked for about 3 minutes and then quit. The nozzle has the same issue of getting stuck on the fittings. I took it apart and the seal is in the right way. Waste of life.
Apparently I got the one good one. It'll probably explode next time I use it now

Ive been using a modified HF notcher for a few years now.....notched a few exo's with it, i will definitely be replacing it before i built my chassis but it has worked just fine till now.