• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

It's STINKY!!!

DAMN THAT THING HAS COME A LONG WAY. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD.....I DIG THE PAINT AND THE STANCE....GOOD WORK WITH THIS ONE......

update....................................

picked up the car from Jackson powertrain friday afternoon....had to forklift load it b/c i would not go into gear, and the battery was dead as a doornail....figured since it was a newly built tranny, it still needded more fluid...

jimmy the blade came and messed around with it on saturday while i was at work...he charged up the battery and added a little more of the fluid that i had in my garage and that solved it.....

so....

we took it to ROCK MIDGET STATE PARK to do a little dusty dirt trail riding to flex it all out and see how the front driveline was gonna work...it was sooo tight in there i was thinking that i may need a 2pc front shaft..

flexed it out pretty good....then i let jimmy the blade drive it around for a minute and while he was climbing a hill and flecing on the high side, it shut down, and he had to get ready for the backwards roll down hill...lol...

here's the bad...

drives RIGHT THROUGH THE BRAKES in 4LO....barely stops it as it is....

car wont stay running.......had a fully charged battery and it was good yesterday until we got deep in the woods and dies the 1st time....battery to dead to jump with a box....used one of utv's of nolens to jump it off.....

this happened about 5 times as we were trying to get it back to load it up...

jimmy the blade was testing the alternator and only got 11 while it was running....the parts house said it was good...but we are thinking otherwise....the battery could not hold up once the fans kicked on....hmmm....

think i should get a new alternator?

for the brakes, i am running all -3 ss flex line, 3/4 ton chevy brakes and dual wilwood 3/4 mastercylinders...one for the front brakes, one for the rear...i did notice a small leak up front with the DS banjo bolt crush washers...gonna replace them and re bleed and see.....

That sucks Louis, especially the dying part. In terms of brakes you may just need to get use to that. I know that mine, john's and david all have a hard time stopping our rigs and I think it is because of the low gearing and manual brakes. In first gear low range mine trys to creep through them also. I use 2nd and 3rd gear more on downhills and also using neutral helps also. I think a lot of buggys with the manual brakes have the same issues. I know I have heard several people talking about the same problem.

i am sure the hydroboost is nice...i can't afford anything like that right now..lol...

on another note,

i did get the alternator tested again...it was putting out 15v on the test bench, granted that's a pretty fast rpm they spin it at though...

instead of another alternator, i bought a shorter belt, as the one that was on there was a little "loose" in my opinion....

jimmy the blade made his way over with his tester and instead of ~11v, it was registering 12.25v at the back lug of th ealternator and at the battery....so, i am guessing this is better (due to the belt) and will try to see what happens today.....gott run it long enough to have the fans come on for a good while and see if that 12v charge is gonna hack it....

anyone else know what their rig reads when at idle or putting around, and what kind of acessories are you running?

under_psi said:
here are a couple random shots i never posted...

front axle skid that i made to guard teh mount and ram for teh hydro ram....(scored a free 9"x54" cutting board from work that we never used....and proceeded to cut it to fit....)

buildingstinky273.jpg

Lou, what did you use to cut the cutting board material? We have to do that this weekend for a ram mount on mine and the lines will be similar to yours just smaller. Curious what you used

I use a sawzall, but most dont like the sawzall enough to be able to do straight lines. In that case use a jigsaw.

Matt O. said:
Lou, what did you use to cut the cutting board material? We have to do that this weekend for a ram mount on mine and the lines will be similar to yours just smaller. Curious what you used

i used my badass bosch jigg saw....with a fine tooth metal blade (all i had) and it cut like butter.....

BTW, as far as the buggy new is concerned....

transmission and transfercase are both reinstalled and i have tidied up some other little crap under the floor that got rushed...

VERY INTERESTING FINDING i forgot to mention upon broken tranny removal...

on the atlas TC, where the 'detent' box is on the back side (small aluminum out cropping if you will) there was some SERIOUS chaffing goig on....LOOKS to me that my 1" dia seat bar was bowing a little too much....and that with the added weight of 2 bodies, it was more than enuff to make the seat bar come into contact with the back end of the transfer case, THUS adding MORE weight and leveraging against the bolts that broke........not the cause, but definitely a cause in what could have happened....

to remedy that, i made a support that is removable...it runs downward from the seatbar to the lower driveline support area......shoudl be enough....i was jumping on it today and it was not budging....

i am waiting on my Roark Fab atlas support ring to come in so i can welderederererer it in....however, i am getting too impatient and will probably stick the floor and seats back in on sunday and take it for a spin.....

under_psi said:
VERY INTERESTING FINDING i forgot to mention upon broken tranny removal...

on the atlas TC, where the 'detent' box is on the back side (small aluminum out cropping if you will) there was some SERIOUS chaffing goig on....LOOKS to me that my 1" dia seat bar was bowing a little too much....and that with the added weight of 2 bodies, it was more than enuff to make the seat bar come into contact with the back end of the transfer case, THUS adding MORE weight and leveraging against the bolts that broke........not the cause, but definitely a cause in what could have happened....

Funny..that is nearly 500# of leverage with you an Jimmy on there......I think that could have helped..... laughing1

wngrog said:
Funny..that is nearly 500# of leverage with you an Jimmy on there......I think that could have helped..... laughing1
HA LOL, yeah, I'd wait for the support ring myself. molaugh And maybe a girdle. :flipoff1:

Latest posts