• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jimmy Smith "STOP LOSS" buggy build

I ordered my DOM today to lock in 2010 steel prices. I ordered 12 sticks of 1.75OD 120 wall and 3 sticks of 1.75OD 188 wall for the lower part of the chassis, shock hoops and motor mount areas. It is getting closer one day at a time.. I picked up another dana 60 front and another 14 bolt rear with disk brakes..They both have 4.10's with lockers already installed. Lockrite in the front and a detroit in the back... What do yall think about the lockrite in the front 60?? I have never had one nor heard to much about them?? COLT

I say if it has the lockrite already installed run it, I ran one in my old rig first on cut 39.5 boggers then 42 tsls on a 5000lb cab truck with 400hp and it lived threw it. Good luck with the build and keep us posted

Thanks John Lawrence and Trent for lettin me drool on your new Jimmy buggys. You gave me some great ideas that I am going to put towards mine. John, if you have the original pics of your roof post them up please. I wanna see that vette look you told me about. WITC was great, now its time to get to work on the build. COLT

Hello all, I have been chipping away at my parts list and almost have everything that I need.. I still have to get a few more interior pieces and parts and the brake system under wraps but that will all come in due time.. I have a few welding tech questions for yall! I am thinking about purchasing a TIG welder for my shop. Is it hard to learn to TIG weld? I have been MIG and stick welding for years but have never picked up a TIG. What are your thoughts on me trying to build my own Aluminum-stainless floor and center console in my buggy.(can a newbie with a tig get it done with a little practice)?? I am sure that I can get a hand from a few of my buddies, and I also think I can fab the parts up myself. I have always wanted a TIG in the shop, But I just don't know if it is worth it. Please let me know what you think!! It would also be great if some of you could chime in and let me know about the TIG welders you have and what you recommend..

Thanks to All.. COLT

I let Jimmy build mine and it fits around everything perfect, I probly had time to do it but his looks and fits way better than if i tryd :dblthumb:

I run a Miller syncro wave for years and it was awsome, very reliable and never had problems with it, Miller came out with a new line now and ya can get torch's with the adjustable heat range in the handle, that would be a nice option for tube work so you wouldnt have to mess with a pedal all the time, I have a Esab Mig in my own garage and thats been a great welder and I have used a few Esab plasma cutters, very happy with em! I'm sure their Tigs are great quality as well

twiztedzuki said:
I let Jimmy build mine and it fits around everything perfect, I probly had time to do it but his looks and fits way better than if i tryd :dblthumb:

I would love to see some pictures of the floor-dash he did for you... COLT

congrads man, I know how you feel. I cant wait to pick my buggy up from my builder. It seems the days just go by to slow. Keep us posted with pics on the build. hope to see it soon
MIKE

57fever said:
congrads man, I know how you feel. I cant wait to pick my buggy up from my builder. It seems the days just go by to slow. Keep us posted with pics on the build. hope to see it soon
MIKE

thanks Mike....The only decision I have left is what color to paint any ideas everybody :dunno:

I dropped off all of my parts at Jimmies shop last week! It will be a few more weeks before I will get it picked up. I am looking forward to slowing down with work so I can get it finished in time for Shamrock run at Morris! Thanks for all the great ideas everybody!