• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Maxxis 42" Comp Trepador coming

Cole said:
Cool I knew you had run maxxis and BFG so I was interested in your opinion. I think you need to run a set of SX just so we have some real world testing of someone who has ran all 3.

I can probably do that real easy. I ride with enough guys on 8 lug wheels with 43s that would switch for a day. And I could hit all the same trails with both.

redneckengineered said:
Better compound. And I hate how the 43s crown over so bad. On hard ground I bet only the middle lugs have any weight on them.

Not true, my 16.5s have zero crown.

Re:

I have both a trep and reds in different size but doesn't matter in performance. Red is great on dry rock once worn down some and rounded off, but once in slop the red kinda sucks. Trep is the best of all around tire. Bites hard and cleans quick. The SX just looks like the sidewalls are a little too stiff and don't flex quite as well from observation.

I have had Krawlers and sx, not treps. Wheeled with a bunch of guys that use them and they are a great tire. I agree with redneckengineered that the 42 would be tough to beat. The sx I run now are about 3/4 tread and pretty crowned, but just started to really hook on rock. I crawled boatramp last time at Chocco, wouldn't come close when they were newer. I play with my shocks in a hay field by my house and when it's wet the sx are like slicks! 4wd full on high speed drifting spinning.
Exited to see a 42 trep but not sure if they would replace my sxs...

Some really good info on this , I'm lookin to buy stickies shortly & all this is making it a tough decision

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
I have both a trep and reds in different size but doesn't matter in performance. Red is great on dry rock once worn down some and rounded off, but once in slop the red kinda sucks. Trep is the best of all around tire. Bites hard and cleans quick. The SX just looks like the sidewalls are a little too stiff and don't flex quite as well from observation.

Pretty much agree with everything here except that I think the BFG is WAY underrated in the slop. I think it performs excellent in nasty, wet conditions. Never tried a mud bog but I hope no one here would care about that.

onepieceatatime said:
Sticky 40" LTBS

We called Interco last year asking about making a sticky version of the 40 LTB since it was offered in a 17" wheel. They said that was the only tire they couldnt make into a sticky because it was made at different plant than all of the rest.

Re:

redneckengineered said:
Pretty much agree with everything here except that I think the BFG is WAY underrated in the slop. I think it performs excellent in nasty, wet conditions. Never tried a mud bog but I hope no one here would care about that.

I agree 100% as long as they aren't rounded off too much. Then it's like a 2WD dually in a wet field trying to go up hill.

Re:

redneckengineered said:

I think most people "want" to find a shortcoming with the BFGs. (or that 90% of the Red labels you see on the trail are ~20% tread...)

I've seen the red labels stick to wet and muddy rocks at GMP when the 38.5 SX, 38/42/44 TSLs and 39.5 Iroks in the group wouldn't even get started up the rock.

Trep may have been better... but the Red was far ahead of all the non-sticky Interco tires.

Re:

TBItoy said:
I think most people "want" to find a shortcoming with the BFGs. (or that 90% of the Red labels you see on the trail are ~20% tread...)

I've seen the red labels stick to wet and muddy rocks at GMP when the 38.5 SX, 38/42/44 TSLs and 39.5 Iroks in the group wouldn't even get started up the rock.

Trep may have been better... but the Red was far ahead of all the non-sticky Interco tires.

I've had a rig with red's, no doubt they work great on wet muddy rocks and are an all around great tire. But.... I tore the **** out of the sidewalls on 3 of them after a few months. Once you get on steeper wet dirt type climbs and take away surface area of rocks they just don't work as well as a TSL type tire

Regardless - people will always find a reason to bash red's, especially when they're putting down 500 HP and 80 mph wheel speeds and a $5,000 samurai eases up the same line without even shaking the beer up :dblthumb:

I will definitely take up for the Red labels... I had my doubts until I watched Cole's buggy crawl Flipper when few others did!!!

I do think the 42 Trep will be a Game Changer in our sport. I'm excited to see how they perform.

I'd have gotten reds in a second. And saved a **** ton of money, as plentiful as they are used for sale... The ONLY reason I did not have them is because, I have the worst luck in the world.. And just about everything that I had read about reds said the sad wall really what's the week point . 43's I was thinking I did not want to replace parts all the time, so I went for the TREPS. Hell they're all a great tire, what amazes me the most is, that it takes several trips and to wear them in to really really start amazing ya. shits crazy.

redneckengineered said:

Agreed here.. Granted we did not get in super deep mud, I have seen red's with about 20% maybe, and had no problems and just the wet sloppy conditions. Granite we did not get in deep mud at all like no more than 2 or 3 inches.. They still did awesome. Is the side wall that scares me. I'm a broke ****** and really hate to replace parts that were good. And cost an arm and a leg.

Re:

I have limited experience with reds but are the sidewalls a lot better if you just don't run them at really low pressures? I'm wanting stickies and I'll probably end up with some used Reds once I find the right deal.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I have limited experience with reds but are the sidewalls a lot better if you just don't run them at really low pressures? I'm wanting stickies and I'll probably end up with some used Reds once I find the right deal.

Yes. I've only ever cut one sidewall, and I was :drinkers: AF and acting a fool, and my pressure was low. I run 12-14 PSI these days. Been running reds for 3 years now. They're not as tough as the SX but the intardwebs will make you think they cut like warm butter.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:

What redneckengineered said,

You can cut them, but you can cut any tire that is really aired down and acting a fool. I was running them with 5 to 7 lbs and learned that 10 to 12 was much better. Airing them down didn't really seem to make any difference like it would with a TSL or something similar.

I'd run another set again if I had them

I actually think the Krawler works better at more pressure. I used to air down years ago before I knew any better. Then one of my comp buddies gave me the pointer to run more air and I've been doing it ever since. 12-13 psi seems to be the sweet spot for me

Re:

Reds don't need bead locks really. They will stick to a wheel like glue once they are warmed up once. Like everyone else, they don't need single psi to work.

I think the major reason red labels work so well is because of the sidewalls and flexible carcass under the tread. The tire conforms to the terrain better than the others. I've been running my set of Treps for 3.5 years now and I've been happy with them. I've put a beating on them, never cut one and they more often than not get me to the top. I can say that when they were new they were amazing but now that they're about half tread the rubber doesn't flex and pull up the slick east coast stuff as good as it use to. On the flip side they worked better out west this year than last year. The weight of my rig and lack of ground clearance causes more problems for me than anything.