• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Maxxis 42" Comp Trepador coming

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
Reds don't need bead locks really. They will stick to a wheel like glue once they are warmed up once. Like everyone else, they don't need single psi to work.

You think the higher psi has anything to do with so many cut sidewalls? Or is it just a weaker sidewall?

Re:

pholmann said:
You think the higher psi has anything to do with so many cut sidewalls? Or is it just a weaker sidewall?

Red labels were never designed for the type of wheeling that takes place today. They were designed for come dodging and the design hasn't been changed in years and years.

I always ran 12-15psi in mine and didn't have any issues. Lori climbed cable hill in the rain with 20psi in the front and 15 in the rear.

But you see so many sidewall cuts vs tsl's. I'm not trying to get a my tire is better than your tire discussion going. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Just trying to understand why the sidewalk cuts and what could possibly change it. Are the standard old tsl sidewalls just tough as nails. I know that you know the higher psi can cause punctures where a lower psi allows more give and therefore less puncture. I suppose my question is, are the sidewalls just as tough but the higher psi accounts for more sidewalk failures.

pholmann said:
I suppose my question is, are the sidewalls just as tough but the higher psi accounts for more sidewalk failures.
Eh, I will have to say no because the word on the street is the exact opposite. I only have one run on my reds but the research showed keeping more pressure in them will help reduce sidewall cuttage.

Re:

pholmann said:

The higher PSI keeps them from cutting sidewalls.

Most of the people that have problems consistently are trying to run them with a "wrinkle" or "squat" like you would a big TSL or Bogger.

Some people just destroy sidewalls...

We've also found a few extra psi in the reds makes a big difference on cutting side walls… and they still hook up like crazy...

I just don't understand the single digit pressures in radial tires.... steel belts are not made to perform that way and because the tread & sidewall ply are not one continuous material I think it attributes to the acceleration of Red Label cracking

Interesting. i was just curious. I would imagine the region would also have quite a bit to do with it as well. Jagged rocks vs smooth etc. I know for East Tennessee you just don't see reds or treps. I am definitely curious about the treps in 42. I'm planning on somehow pulling off buying a set of stickies for my new buggy. I've beat the absolute hell out of the same set of 42tsl swampers for about 10 years now without incident. I have a brand new set of 44tsl's on my new buggy under construction now. I thought about moving them to the ranger and going with some sort of stickies in their place since my 42's are about shot (as they should be). I'm not interested in reds at all so it would be between the sx or treps. Are treps good for wet nasty muddy rocks like the sx's?

from my observations the treps do much better than reds in the slop we have between the rocks… reds are good enough as long as they have decent tread depth on them but treps do outperform reds in the mud.. i think folks are over thinking which sticky tire is best… these days you're cheating yourself if you don't run stickies and want to do the harder trails… that being said, i do believe treps to be the superior sticky but they have a superior price also

I will be curious to see what the difference is because I've done everything at windrock with non stickies and everything at tellico and most things at harlan including lil jagger. Everyone talks about the difference. I'm excited to see for myself. Just not excited to see the difference in my bank acct.

Re:

Piper....think that has anything to do with lack of weight compared to others?

Kel Lawrence

I have ran mine with 8 in the front and 6 in the rear since new to get them broke in good. And with the type of slow trail riding we do they have worked really well and wrap around the rocks. However in the Halloween race at hawk pride I forgot to air back up. I slid down and hit a rock while still in the gas and cut a sidewall. I don't think it would have cut if it had 12 psi in them. I have seen so many different opinions on the 2 tires kind of like ford vs Chevy but from what I have seen the BFG seems to have a stickier compound on the rocks. And mine do well in the slick stuff but mine are still 98% tread so they still have good size lugs

I've said many times how great I think the Krawlers are in the nasty, sloppy crap here in southeast TN. I always shake my head when I hear some hillbilly say that Krawlers don't work in the muddy stuff. But, I swap my tires out every year so I never go under about 80% tread. Red labels are a beast in the nasty stuff when they have good tread.

redneckengineered said:
I've said many times how great I think the Krawlers are in the nasty, sloppy crap here in southeast TN. I always shake my head when I hear some hillbilly say that Krawlers don't work in the muddy stuff. But, I swap my tires out every year so I never go under about 80% tread. Red labels are a beast in the nasty stuff when they have good tread.

Couldn't agree more

I used to think they were junk until I had a set

I guess you could say I was converted ..... :dblthumb:

When i got my single seat buggy i had a set of grooved 44" tsl, grooved to the cords with tubes in all tires and they hooked awesome in the loose stuff and were tough as nails, but rode with a group of Toyotas on BFG's at hale mtn and they all walked up obstacles that I had to beat on. I went home that afternoon and listed my wheels and tires for sale and my buggy sat on jack stands for 3 months while saving up for a set of BFG's and 17" beadlocks. I love them. I would be interested in a 39-40 sx sticky if they ever came out with one but that's probably the only other tire I would want to run on my current buggy

Correct

I don't want to pay what they are bringing. If I had a set would I run them - yes

But for now I'll just be the only kid with NON Sticky tires slinging **** everywhere trying to get around