• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Nova funds at risk again

How about a tabless/plateless trail run with a couple newspaper folks.

there are some peeps in MN that do an MS run and even the MS society won't have anything to do with it and they have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for them....
I have a soft spot for Vets (not animal doctors) and was planning a trail ride for Vets in the VA hospital but I moved out of state and that fizzled out....
We won't be able to keep the designated funds provided by the state unless you have a watchdog in the state helping...need some pro motorized legislators watching out for us

Would it have been better if I said kick in the taint???

Yes, Funny story actually, tell you about it later.

Everytime I speak with someone outside of my sport (hobby) that is somewhat aware of current issues..I am told "times are tough, they robbed Peter (OHV) to pay Paul (balance the budget etc.)"

When you go to the WOHVA rally, I recommend you make an appointment with your local representative in Olympia and get into their office to express your disappointment (professionally of course)- I will be... :awesomework:

Sent a email to my representatives.:cool:

Slightly modified crash message.

SUBJECT: NOVA Funding

MESSAGE: Please DO NOT redistribute funds intended for the Non Highway and Offroad Vehicle Activities (NOVA) account again!

In 2009 the legislature took all of these funds and gave them to State Parks where none of those funds benefited offroad vehicle recreation
nor any other types of recreation that depend on NOVA funding.

This account was created when offroad vehicle users volunteered to waive their legal right to a fuel tax refund in exchange for a self-directed state account to provide funding for programs that benefited offroad vehicle activities.

These same citizens volunteered to have their license tab fees increased so long as those monies were also placed in the Non Highway and Offroad Vehicle Activities (NOVA) account.

To redirect the funding away from the NOVA account again would be nothing short of stealing from the very same citizens that willing gave the state their hard earned money.

Yes, Funny story actually, tell you about it later.

Everytime I speak with someone outside of my sport (hobby) that is somewhat aware of current issues..I am told "times are tough, they robbed Peter (OHV) to pay Paul (balance the budget etc.)"

When you go to the WOHVA rally, I recommend you make an appointment with your local representative in Olympia and get into their office to express your disappointment (professionally of course)- I will be... :awesomework:

I'll wear my WOHVA shirt tonight...:awesomework:

They only rob from Peter because Peter is an easy target... Paul is the one that stays on top of everything bitching about it and gets his money...

It may of had less money for them to take, but I don't believe for one minute it would make it less likely to be taken...
QUOTE]

So if the govern bodies of the ORV community was on top of the NOVA fund and was spending it, Improving our trails , parking and campgrounds. Also if remaining funds were earmarked for projects in the future. They would have still taken it.

This is my take on it. The fund grows at about 2.5 mill a year. Then some agencies get grants off of it, Around 500 K a year. So by my calculations it took 4 to 5 years to build that fund up to the dollar amount that was taken. But at the same time

So who is at falt for letting that fund grow to that size and not spending it. As we the wheelers are donating our time and materials to keep the trails up

I'll wear my WOHVA shirt tonight...:awesomework:

They only rob from Peter because Peter is an easy target... Paul is the one that stays on top of everything bitching about it and gets his money...

I think Paul must be building all these ped bridges

I'll wear my Peter shirt tonight...:awesomework:

Corrected for ya :awesomework: see ya tonight

It may of had less money for them to take, but I don't believe for one minute it would make it less likely to be taken...
QUOTE]

So if the govern bodies of the ORV community was on top of the NOVA fund and was spending it, Improving our trails , parking and campgrounds. Also if remaining funds were earmarked for projects in the future. They would have still taken it.

This is my take on it. The fund grows at about 2.5 mill a year. Then some agencies get grants off of it, Around 500 K a year. So by my calculations it took 4 to 5 years to build that fund up to the dollar amount that was taken. But at the same time

So who is at falt for letting that fund grow to that size and not spending it. As we the wheelers are donating our time and materials to keep the trails up

followthe money....my bet is on the DNR for toad habitat or something more important

The fact of the matter is, the amount of money has nothing to do with it...

They would have taken it if it was 500k or 500 million... We didn't spend the money and maybe we should have... But if there's money on the table to steal, they will steal it... Doesn't matter how much it is...

We aren't the popular kids on the play ground... It's easy to bully us...

The fact of the matter is, the amount of money has nothing to do with it...

They would have taken it if it was 500k or 500 million... We didn't spend the money and maybe we should have... But if there's money on the table to steal, they will steal it... Doesn't matter how much it is...

We aren't the popular kids on the play ground... It's easy to bully us...

They couldn't have taken it if it wasn't there in the first place.

I work with the DNR on our trail systems... I have yet to see an issue come up about spending money if it's available for motorized use...

well then while you are working with them....spend more money

I get the whole working with them...been for 10 years in MN...even did some side work for one of the highest paid employees in the MN DNR...we bullshit about everything but not about accounting.....he did tell me once about our money going for new computers for the DNR...

I Don't trust them, they have a different objective for our public lands....the proof is in thier actions

Little history

NOVA Fund History

Pursuant to the Washington State Constitution, Article I, Section 40 the fuel tax collected must be used for highway purposes or refunded.
In 1972 the off road vehicle community supported passage of legislation that waived their right to that refund in exchanged for having those same funds put into a dedicated account to promote and protect their sport.
To accomplish this, the Non Highway and Off Road Vehicle Activities (NOVA) account was created. This account was administered by the Washington State Inter-Agency Committee for Outdoor Recreation (IAC). The IAC is now called the Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO)
The intent of the NOVA program, per the IAC policy guidelines from 1973 is as follows:

I Don't trust them, they have a different objective for our public lands....the proof is in thier actions

You have to look at who in DNR you are talking about. DNR Recreation is all for us in the woods, because we are the reason they are around. They are the ones that work with us, and the ones who manage the ORV parks.

DNR Lands primary focus is to make money to put into the education grant fund. They will work with DNR Recreation most of the time.