• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GT Buggy 2.0 caddy 500 build

GT_Buggy

Time to ditch the good ol' leaf springs and build a real buggy. Old one is for sale here. Taking engine, tcase and trans from it for the new one.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/snw/4938047033.html

New buggy will be caddy 500, Reid case Ptc powerglide, np205 with rockwells. 16" oris front 18" oris rear. 1-1/4 rod ends. Trying to build the lowest rig possible but still have a good ground clearance. Dimensions right now are 24" to the belly and 68" total height and 122" wheelbase. A buddy of mine is fully modeling it in solid works as we go. It is great to check clearances before you do something and we have been able to animate it to check articulation clearance. It's really cool to have this tool to see what something looks like before you waste time and tube to try it. Below is the goal from the model. The model is ever changing just like the build. I will update it as well as pictures of progress.

1b0511c0a73af7108fb0ba8e75fc8c3c.jpg
fe7d4c9be763a45c7d7352c19606aa03.jpg
8367fa94f783d27cce07bd70473aecfe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are using part of an old chassis for this new build. Here is the chassis we are starting with.

30249befe02e4dc3cf6627149992cc26.jpg

Well I guess that answers that lol. I've had good luck with mine, I dont have much power tho. PM me a price if they are 1.25

Can't help but notice that you have a seemingly accurate model of Ouverson's knuckles in your pics. How did you come by that??? And are you really using them?

My buddy that is doing the model is collecting parts for his build. He has the knuckles and drew them up. We took the axles from his model to start on mine. Still working to make everything correct to my build. I do not plan on running them right now. He bought them to put on a Dana 80.

al1tonyota said:
It's gonna be hell figuring out how to hook up that front driveshaft! Haha jk gonna be a good looking unit when your done!

Not looking forward to drive shafts. I will have to run a mid shaft bearing on the front and the rear. This staying low is causing all sorts of fun challenges.

GT_Buggy said:
Not looking forward to drive shafts. I will have to run a mid shaft bearing on the front and the rear. This staying low is causing all sorts of fun challenges.

I was referring to the driver drop front and passenger drop tcase

al1tonyota said:
I was referring to the driver drop front and passenger drop tcase

Hah gottcha. That would be a hell of a set up. I was going to run my pass 205 and the drive shaft won't clear the starter and water pump. Had to get a drivers drop case and thankfully rocks don't care.

Frame rails made using the model so that they would fit in the existing chassis. Worked out perfect.
10ec6c364722bacf866426356658c71e.jpg

A little different design here for the rails
97e8ca871126c71fbf9d0d4ff381ab98.jpg

Allows the seats to sit lower. We bent the angle of the rails to match the angle we wanted for the seats
8d8fb4926164e04b4ebcbc0e2b4fc7a6.jpg

d4170b9e574a12a170f5bbaba278a41e.jpg

And congratulations by the way you deserve it. After I saw the ratchet strap as a motor mount, I knew that you were an ok fella, and you're about 30 or 45 minutes from me! Haha. Awedome man. I look forward to building me a buggy one day.

kushKrawlin said:
And congratulations by the way you deserve it. After I saw the ratchet strap as a motor mount, I knew that you were an ok fella, and you're about 30 or 45 minutes from me! Haha. Awedome man. I look forward to building me a buggy one day.

Thanks man I can't wait to get back on the trail.
My motto that night was do what ever It takes to ride! Here is said ratchet strap
a912f1bd88c5f6d4f7d7e5c96ffd3821.jpg

Still up in the air on tires. Might run the cut boggers I have unless I can sell the old buggy as a package. If I do that it will be running tsl Sx stickies. I love the cut boggers though so it's a hard choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk