• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Tech - a new Video series from Busted Knuckle

BustedKnucklefilms

Our Extreme UTV Tech and Rock Rods Tech has done so well that we have had some people wanting us to do Diesel Truck Videos as well.

Well here you go. Tow Rig Tech our new series where we work on the Best 3 Diesel Engines the Big 3 ever made. 2002 7.3 Powerstroke, 2007 Duramax, and 2004 Cummins.

First up is a Bypass Oil Filter System on my 7.3 Powerstroke. The Goal is to double my oil change intervals from 5k to 10k because Diesel Oil Ain't Cheap! Enjoy and Let me know what you guys think of the new series!

INSANE DIESEL BYPASS OIL FILTER INSTALL - Tow Rig Tech

Re:

If you ever wanna do a 8.1 tech video let me know. I'll let you follow me to the gas station to fill it up and check the oil.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Looking forward to this series for some ideas on my 7.3. Thanks for your hard work sir!

Thanks Guys! Yeah 8.1 will pass everything BUT THE GAS STATION ha.

I've driven around 3k miles so far and plan on doing an oil sample and lab test at 5k which is when I typically change the oil. 7.3s are very hard on the oil. My oil hasn't cleared up yet but they told me it might take 5k miles before it does. We shall see!

Next up we are going to put some better Rotors and Pads on the Powerstroke so I can stop these 35s! :driving:

Nice tech man, I put some hot shot secret in my 7.3 and I noticed a little power gain and about .2 mpg gain, pretty nice for 40 dollar additive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We decided to go with some EBC Dimpled and Slotted Rotors & their Heavy Duty Orange Brake Pads.
So that will be on the Next episode we hope to shoot on Monday,

15056469_10154229609183985_156314262047269606_n.jpg

Re: Re: Tow Rig Tech - a new Video series from Busted Knuckle

BustedKnucklefilms said:
We decided to go with some EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors & their Heavy Duty Brake Pads.
So that will be on the Next episode we hope to shoot on Monday,
Interested in how that turns out. I do love good brakes on a tow rig.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

With over 300k on the OL 7.3 it is time for some upgraded injectors. After some research I gave the guys a call at Full Force Diesel in Murfeesboro, Tennessee and they recommend their stage 1.5 160cc injectors which are capable of 380 horsepower. I also went ahead and got new gaskets, under cover harnesses, and new glow plugs to take care of everything while I am in there. I got everything in the mail and cannot wait to get it all installed. I plan on pulling the chip and shipping it to them on Monday to Retune it for these single shot injectors. They claim they will help get better mileage since it eliminates the pilot shot. Then Zach at FFD is going to come down to the BK compound and help with the install on the 2nd. Stay Tuned for the next episode the poor Transmission will most likely not like this!

15622680_10154333875898985_2384983101100993661_n.jpg

ridered3 said:
Enjoying this video series. Looking forward to the long term testing and reports from using these products.

So far so good on the Oil Bypass Filter. Ive driven around 5k miles so far and need to check the dipstick to see if it is clean yet.
The EBC brakes are awesome, quiet and work great. We will see how they do over time.

Had to pull out the TS 6 position chip from the 7.3 today to send back to Full Force Diesel for some updated tunes to match the new injectors we will install on Monday. I hope I don't have to haul anything until then because Stock Sucks! Say a prayer for the Transmission on Monday! :driving: :****:

15741257_10154347685508985_2897339071891967919_n.jpg

Went ahead and ordered the biggest 6.0 trans cooler they make. This one is 3 times the size of the factory 7.3 trans cooler and bolts right in. Maybe it will make the Trans last a little longer with the newly found woopow. This will be Tow Rig Tech episode 4 or 5. Stay Tuned!

15726405_1626694614298493_684800558371844318_n.jpg

Post the link to that cooler if ya don't mind. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 6.0 cooler will also work good for 03-07.5 Dodge 5.9 Cummins auto trucks. My trans guy gave me one and I installed it on an 03, it really brought the trans temps down. It easily installs between the radiator and intercooler.

The cooler works well and extra oil filtration can't hurt but don't get excited about increased oil life...
That's an HEUI engine.... The short oil life of the 7.3 vs many other diesel engines is due to the oil shearing not getting dirty...
By 5000 miles the injectors have broken the oil down and no amount of filtration will stop that.

gottagofast said:
The cooler works well and extra oil filtration can't hurt but don't get excited about increased oil life...
That's an HEUI engine.... The short oil life of the 7.3 vs many other diesel engines is due to the oil shearing not getting dirty...
By 5000 miles the injectors have broken the oil down and no amount of filtration will stop that.

All the more reason for me to do the oil tests at 5k increments.