• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New Project... 1991 FJ80

rugger99

So, like many others have done, I have decided to sell my dedicated crawler. Friends have gotten out of it, life taking a different direction, etc... are all reasons behind this decision. That being said, I still want to get out and enjoy the outdoors...hence, the new project. I picked up a 1991 Toyota Landcruiser. It's in pretty decent shape, needs some maintenance and minor repairs. The goal is to have a capable yet still 100% streetable rig that I can take out and play with while the wife and two dogs (German Shepherds) tag along. I will document the build as it progresses. The Cruiser had some no name 35's on it when I picked it up and already had a 6" lift installed. Oddly enough, I just happened to have a set of 38's mounted on Allied beadlocks. 45 minutes later, the Cruiser was sitting on the 38's. To be continued...

Attachments

• LC 2.JPG
    LC 2.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 119
  • LC 1.JPG
    LC 1.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 119
Nothing too crazy, will need to re-gear it, likely go with 4.88. RCV shafts in the front, swap rear end to a full float out of a 93 to 97. Freshen the interior up, winch...rework the front bumper and fab up a new rear bumper. Need to build a storage rack inside...not an "overlander pack every thing under the sun plus the kitchen sink" style rack but something with some secure storage.

Nothing too crazy, will need to re-gear it, likely go with 4.88. RCV shafts in the front, swap rear end to a full float out of a 93 to 97. Freshen the interior up, winch...rework the front bumper and fab up a new rear bumper. Need to build a storage rack inside...not an "overlander pack every thing under the sun plus the kitchen sink" style rack but something with some secure storage.
Sounds like a good "dual purpose" plan.

i always wanted a roof rack roll cage for my 80 and a ladder on each side that the legs to the cage and protect the rear quarters.
and the fender bars off the arb and wait for the zombie apocalypse

i think i have seen someone put the A pillar bar right along the windshield and through the front fender down to the frame also.

cant remember where though. and tie it into the sliders. ****ing MINT.... haha:)

Anyone have a lead on a rear full float axle out of a 93 to 97 FJ80 or LX450 ? I found two but the people offering them were a tad ridiculous....$1200 for one that was missing the hubs and spindles and $1750 for a complete one :unsure: I get it, there not laying around in every pick n pull but lets be reasonable.

Anyone have a lead on a rear full float axle out of a 93 to 97 FJ80 or LX450 ? I found two but the people offering them were a tad ridiculous....$1200 for one that was missing the hubs and spindles and $1750 for a complete one :unsure: I get it, there not laying around in every pick n pull but lets be reasonable.
Dang, I think I have like $600 for a complete axle last year. Where are you located? There is one on facebook marketplace in Woodruff SC a guy is parting out. Said a tree fell on it.
1688849674942.png

Appreciate the info, hoping to find a rear F/F closer to where I live, Tallahassee FL. May have to take a road trip.

Or you could put Volvo portals under it. A good friend of mine, and the man that got me in to wheeling built this one years ago. That thing was unstoppable.

IMG_1091.jpeg

I remember that Cruiser, he did a fairly detailed write up on it on Pirate if I remember correctly.

If you re-gear skip the 4.88's and get 5.29's if you want to drive on the road for any length of time.

I own a cruiser same year and daily drove it and wheeled it with 35's and 5.29's. There's no way id go with 4.88 gears knowing how it drives with the 5.29 gears. It would go the speed limit and drive with ease on the highways. No issues with high rpm's or running out of gear. Just my 2 cents but anything over 35" tires 5.29s are the way to go.