• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1 ton toyota pickup question

ktaylor

I've got a 87 toyota that I just did a solid axle swap to an 4 link rear with 1 ton chevy axles, I'm not 100% done but I can drive it,ill be driving it on the road an trails for now till down the road,I've got the 22r with a weber 38 39.5 iroks an 456 gears front an rear ,the tranny used to grind in fifth while drivin an I took it out for a drive Sunday an 1st 2nd an3rd didn't have a problem goin through the gears but 4th an 5th is real sluggish like it doesn't want to go over 45 it has trrans noise in 2nd 3rd 4th an 5th while drivin an lettin off the gas an rollin in nuetral , I think its a combo of the clutch an trans but would like to get yalls input I also think its a little under geared

Probably way underpowered for highway application. My 84 pickup has a built 22r in it, 39" BFG red labels, 5:29's in the diffs with dual cases, one of which has the 4.7:1 gear reduc kit in it. And with both cases in HIGH and the rear case in 2wd, it's definitely under powered for highway driving. I don't drive it on the highway, but have took it up and down the road in my neighborhood a time or two like that just for shits and giggles. As for the tranny problems, I'm no help there.

Re: Re: 1 ton toyota pickup question

39.5 and 4.56 with a 22r... I doubt it will do much more than 45-50 mph.

I'd say drive shafts would be the cause of vibration/noise. Are the straight, indexed correctly, balanced?

I only have the rear shaft in but yes its striaght, that's the only thing I took to a shop to build an pay to get done because I wanted it done right it rides good with no vibration just has a bunch of trans noise , an yea I thought the same thing about being underpowered but figured it'd do better then that

My old Tacoma was a regular cab 3RZ 4cyl / 5 speed on 36's with 4:88's in the diffs, stock t-case and it was pretty underpowered for the road, and those 3RZ's are stought 4 bangers.

I hear ya I no the 22rs lack power by a good bit I reckon ill have to wait till I put my v8 on propane in it

I'm wantin to put 538 gearis in my axles is there any way to fit 410 carrier gears in 456i carrier I've got a locker in the rear