• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12 valve burning oil

cisco

I just picked up a 12 valve thats burning oil. Doesn't seem to have a problem with blow by. The previous owner adjusted the valves. Could improper adjustment cause this? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I just picked up a 12 valve thats burning oil. Doesn't seem to have a problem with blow by. The previous owner adjusted the valves. Could improper adjustment cause this? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Turbo seal???

screw up the valve adjust and they tapped the piston? I dunno, I'm not the greatest with that stuff.. You can always check to see how good of a job he did.. Exhaust should be .020 and intake .010

Pop the intake boot off and check for oil...if it's soaked, brian's on the right track...something easy to look at!

my twins always had a little oil running through the intake.. So it's gotta be pretty wet to be a problem...

This coming from someone whose motor took a big 'ol crap!!!!:haha:
But yeah,some moisture/oil residue will be somewhat common, but if it's soaked with oil=problem!!!

My motor never took a crap.. I got tired of it not making over 500 rwhp like it should have.. It was a machine shop screw up that caused it.. And the guy went out of business before I figured it out, go figure.

Valve stem seals, broken ring, Turbo seal, plugged Turbo drain line, loose injector, just to name a few. First and most common is oil getting by the turbo seal, dirty air filter will allow oil to be sucked past the seal.

My motor never took a crap.. I got tired of it not making over 500 rwhp like it should have.. It was a machine shop screw up that caused it.. And the guy went out of business before I figured it out, go figure.

Just givin' ya crap Jeff!!!:redneck:

Mike G has alot of good info here to follow...Also, X-2 on just how much oil you're going thru Cisco????

I can't say on the amount it's going through. Test drove it tuesday and didn't notice any smoke. Brought it home yesturday from tacoma and it's smoking pretty good at idle. Seemed to get worse on the way home.

First vehicle I've purchased that had a problem I didn't know about. :mad: Oh well its a cheapy and I dont think It will be too terrible to fix. I'll go look at the intake boot in few minutes and report back.

I put a call in to the previous owner yesturday to try to get more info but haven't heard back.

Last edited:
Make sure you don't have a fueling issue also. If timming is off, or the pump isn't functioning properly there's a good chance it will smoke blue just like oil when its really just fuel

Make sure you don't have a fueling issue also. If timming is off, or the pump isn't functioning properly there's a good chance it will smoke blue just like oil when its really just fuel

Good to know. I wish I could get ahold of the owner and see if he jacked with the pressure screw or fuel plate or injector timing. Motor runs pretty well but blows little clouds of black smoke when I grab the next gear and wood it before the turbo builds boost.

Is there any diagnostics I can do at this point to determine whether its a fuel or oil problem?

I guess I'll double check the valve clearances.

Any thoughts as to whether I would be doing more damage by driving it before I figure out what's going on?

Side note. Sarg and I observed at idle that the smoke was blue in the sunlight and it smells like burnt oil. Also the oil level is low on the dipstick.

Last edited:
If you look at the AFC housing there should be one of the bolts that doesn't have a hex head; if all of the bolts are hex then its been opened up and messed with.

If you look at the AFC housing there should be one of the bolts that doesn't have a hex head; if all of the bolts are hex then its been opened up and messed with.

Assuming your talking about the cover on the top back of the injector pump. There is a broken bolt, a screw with a slot head and two hex bolts.

Assuming your talking about the cover on the top back of the injector pump. There is a broken bolt, a screw with a slot head and two hex bolts.

Yup, that's the cover I was talking about! Sounds like its still a virgin, or the pump has been serviced and the pump shop put the original fasteners back in. I know Seattle Injector would put the broken bolt back in when we would send pumps down for servicing.