• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12 valve burning oil

Yup, that's the cover I was talking about! Sounds like its still a virgin, or the pump has been serviced and the pump shop put the original fasteners back in. I know Seattle Injector would put the broken bolt back in when we would send pumps down for servicing.

I guess the bolt doesn't really look broken but that corner of the cover looks like it had a fastener sitting on it at one time. There is yellow paint on the nuts that hold the fuel lines onto the pump.

100_0100.jpg

100_0101.jpg

yeah, its been messed with. The hole missing the bolt usually has a torque sensitive bolt that breaks its head off so its just a round head.

94 5 spd, guess I could take the cover off and look. I'm also thinking of taking the exhaust side of the turbo and looking there.

The truck runs and drives great except for the blue smoke at idle. I doubt the fuel plate is missing.

Last edited:
94 5 spd, guess I could take the cover off and look. I'm also thinking of taking the exhaust side of the turbo and looking there.

The truck runs and drives great except for the blue smoke at idle. I doubt the fuel plate is missing.

That's the smallest pump for the p-pump crowd. It's pretty popular to just toss that plate away for that particular pump. Even some shop owners will tell you to do that. With an older truck like that, it could just be age and mileage. Injectors getting worn, the cat could be clogged as well if it's still in there.

Gues I'll check it when the rain stops. My garage is full of projects at the moment. Truck has 145k for miles.

Could also be a pump timing issue causing the smoke (blueish/white)...Just went thru this on a 12V at work...ended up being the pump was out of time...

I would ckeck the timming, but if you do indeed smell oil in the exhaust and its only at an idle I'd put money on it being valve guides

I dont think I'll attempt the valve seals without the help of someone experienced. Most likely I would pay someone to do it. Probobly not a shop but someone who knows what they are doing.

After looking at the FSM replacing valve seals doesn't look too bad. Anyone know how to compress valve springs with the head on? I heard for install you can compress them and hold em with zip ties. Once theyre in, cut the ties and pull em out.

Last edited: