• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12v into a 97 f-250?

DHR Darren

Has anyone here done it?
I just bought a really nice 97 f-250 ccsb with a 460 that I want to swap out for a 12v.
Just curious what all I needed and what tricks to watch for.
Thanks.

You can save a LOT of money doing most of the kit yourself. Only a few things are really needed that most people just can't manufacture themselves. The kits are just convenient for most. But a 12 valve in an OBS is about as common as you can get.

You can save a LOT of money doing most of the kit yourself. Only a few things are really needed that most people just can't manufacture themselves. The kits are just convenient for most. But a 12 valve in an OBS is about as common as you can get.

Good to know, thanks Jeff!

I have never even looked at a swapped pickup so I don't know what all is involved but I do know that I want all stock gauges, cruise, ect to work.

There was a sweet one in Oregon awhile back for sale...
we looked at doing this same swap...my son had a super sweet ford,and his buddy had a wrecked dodge...didn't seem that hard and a lot of info on it....

son sold his ford for a killer deal,enough to buy a dodge with money from sale..lol..so swap wasn't needed

A friend has an 85 f350 he swapped a 12 valve and nv4500 into. Off the top of my head he bought the motor mount adapters, used a common rail exhaust manifold so the turbo cleared the heater box and used a 6.0 ford intercooler. Its a sweet truck and truly a best of both worlds conversion.

A friend has an 85 f350 he swapped a 12 valve and nv4500 into. Off the top of my head he bought the motor mount adapters, used a common rail exhaust manifold so the turbo cleared the heater box and used a 6.0 ford intercooler. Its a sweet truck and truly a best of both worlds conversion.

:awesomework:

I really love the OBS 7.3's but nice ones are hard to find and I love the Cummins 5.9 but hate the dodge surrounding the long block.
My biggest pet peeve is the gauges & dash not working correctly. I don't like a bunch of aftermarket crap piled in the interiors. A simple single glowshift boost/pyro is plenty for me.

I am going to have to check this swap out.

I'm 99% sure my friends truck still has all functioning factory gauges except maybe the tach. I know he swapped a tach IDI cluster in and used the IDI temp and oil pressure senders. I think he worked out converting the signal for the tach, I know he was close last we talked about it.

Buddy of mine that's got a '94 F250 Supercab, converted to 12V, And I believe all the gauges work...I do not recall seeing any gauges hanging below the dash or anything...

JUST DO IT! we all know in general the dodge truck itself is a pile of ****,but it has a killer engine,trans(if its a stick) and axles...but the rest is junk...put the good stuff into a much better body and suspension package and youll have a awsome truck...

JUST DO IT! we all know in general the dodge truck itself is a pile of ****,but it has a killer engine,trans(if its a stick) and axles...but the rest is junk...put the good stuff into a much better body and suspension package and youll have a awsome truck...

You are a man of truth. :awesomework:
Here is the pickup that may receive the swap.

To bad you are not up north, Diesel Outfitters has 2 12v swap trucks in the shop right now. Both are newer rigs but Mike knows what kinda work goes into it. Mike did say that the kits are kinda worthless and he ends up building half the stuff himself. He does all his own harnesses also. One truck is a F-550 and the other is an F-350 pickup. Both have a few turbos. :cheer: