• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt axle flange bolts wont stay tight

Jwhit55

I've been battling this problem for over a year now. I thought I had it figured out when I switched to the aluminum hub setup, but 4 months later they're starting to work their way loose again? I was having the same issue when I was using the stock hubs also. Ive tried every bolt, stud, oem bolt, blue green red Loctite I can get my hands on and still nothing is keeping them tight? Please tell me that someone else has had this problem before? Looks like my next option is safety wiring? Thanks

You mean on the rear right? I tack welded mine on my yukons. I havent since I went to RCV's but if they work loose I will be doin the same. If you do this make sure and to spin the wheel and tack on the outside of the bolts. Makes it MUCH easier if you have to get the shafts out.

BUG-E J said:
You mean on the rear right? I tack welded mine on my yukons. I havent since I went to RCV's but if they work loose I will be doin the same. If you do this make sure and to spin the wheel and tack on the outside of the bolts. Makes it MUCH easier if you have to get the shafts out.

Might have to go that route? When I had the stock hubs and yukons shafts, they would work their way out after every ride.. It got to the point every time I got out if the buggy I checked to see if they were loose..I really thought I had it fixed when I swapped to the aluminum hubs and mark Williams shafts like I said but last weekend when I was checking everything out I noticed they were loose once again..

MoonlightRacing77 said:
Must be all that Ford power Woopow :woot:

I know right!! That ol ford has scared the life outta every gm part on this thing twice!!

Remove all bolts and clean holes with brake clean and blow out with compressed air. Remembering everything you put in a blind hole has only one way out! Do this multiple times till you have no oil residue at all. Get good quality studs. It should be course thread, get the other end fine thread. Add red Loctite to threads and install studs. Install axle, install nuts. Re-touque every ride till they quit moving.

This should fix it if you don't have something bent like axle flange or housing.

Loctite makes primer to use when trying to join dissimilar metals. After all this I'd call them and see what they have to say.

fordcontraption01 said:
I'd say that the housing or at least the tube on whatever side is getting loose is bent or the axle itself is too long and is hitting the other axle :dunno:

What I was thinking also, so I swapped housings, hubs and had the new shafts cut shorter?? Thanks for all the ideas!! I cleaned them up today and put some lick rings on there so we'll see.. If it does it again I'll try the studs again? Thanks again

I'm having same problem. Past there rides, driver side bolts have worked loose. And I'm easy on my junk.

FORD power also thumb.gif

If all of this don't work have the holes in the axle shaft counter sunk and put some taper lock washers they work very well aslong as u get them torqued good they should hold but this would be my last option

PS: molaugh ford power :flipoff1:

Flange and cap style, but I was having the same issue with the Yukon shafts also

Re: Re: Re: 14 bolt axle flange bolts wont stay tight

Rohlingoffroad said:
If all of this don't work have the holes in the axle shaft counter sunk and put some taper lock washers they work very well aslong as u get them torqued good they should hold but this would be my last option

PS: molaugh ford power :flipoff1:
That's my thought bolt them how a wheel or hi steer arm mounts.

PS ford power is living on the edge. Wanna live forever buy a Chevy.

Latest posts