• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 Bolt Chromoly debate

CJunky16

Hey guys-

Im in the middle of building a 14 bolt full floater set up. Yesterday i ordered up my truss kit, shave kit and shaved 5.38 gears from Ballistic Fab.

My plan is to run 40" or 42" tires. Has anyone done this without using chromoly shafts? Iv heard that i will be fine without using them as well as vise versa.

Opinions?

Run one chromoly shaft and one stock shaft. See which one breaks first then you will know which ones to order.

I have no idea, I just feel like being a smart ass this morning.

It's a full floater, run stockers until you find you are breaking them and upgrade at that time unless you have an extra $700 burning a hole in your pocket.

Ive seen ALLOT of broke **** in my days.

I have NEVER seen a broke 14 bolt shaft.

So riddle me this, you want to cut off the ring gear for clearance (making it weaker) but then buy stronger shafts? :scratchhead:

People choose 14bff because they are CHEAP/FREE.

But after buying gears, locker, modding the ring gear, shaving the housing, buying shafts, etc.......

Its not CHEAP anymore. Its then in the realm of a custom axle build. A great custom axle build for 42 tires, I think not.

Why not save a ton (literally) of weight and not plow the earth with that awesome pinion grader and NOT use a shitty 14bff?

Get a nice D60 and 35 spline it or build a d70?

People choose 14bff because they are CHEAP/FREE.

But after buying gears, locker, modding the ring gear, shaving the housing, buying shafts, etc.......

Its not CHEAP anymore. Its then in the realm of a custom axle build. A great custom axle build for 42 tires, I think not.

Why not save a ton (literally) of weight and not plow the earth with that awesome pinion grader and NOT use a shitty 14bff?

Get a nice D60 and 35 spline it or build a d70?

You will have to excuse me being that am new to this site...Is this one of those sites where you can come for tech talk and get/give advise or come here listen to duesch bags run their mouth for no apparent reason.

If you arnt here to give advise....stick to your Facebook page where you opinion is about as valuable as profile pic.

I have a pile of broken Dana 70 35 spline shafts. The 30 spline GM shafts are similar in size to Dana 37 spline. I have broken lots of parts but never a 14 bolt shaft. Id keep the stock ones and shave the housing.

I've seen 2 broken OEM shafts. It depends on what type of wheeling you do. Im running chromo shafts and a partially shaved cover, and 39" red labels.

I have a pile of broken Dana 70 35 spline shafts. The 30 spline GM shafts are similar in size to Dana 37 spline. I have broken lots of parts but never a 14 bolt shaft. Id keep the stock ones and shave the housing.

Thats pretty much the conclusion iv come to as well. I think i will run with OEM and see what happens.

I've seen 2 broken OEM shafts. It depends on what type of wheeling you do. Im running chromo shafts and a partially shaved cover, and 39" red labels.

Ehh I wouldn't say this is going to be an INTENSE Rock Bouncer. I want it to be versatile. I want to be able to take pretty much any trail and yet still be able to hit the dunes.

Its going 4 Link rear and 4 link front.
The front will have coilovers and the rear ill use air shocks.

........well thats the plan anyways

I have a spare set of stock shafts, free to anyone that has broken a stocker and needs a replacement.

You get kinds pissy when you hear the truth! :haha:

And for themuthafuckin record, I hate fakebook and YES, I am the ****in mayor of Douchebagistan. :fawkdancesmiley:

Don't mind Choppy, he doesn't like anything that isn't made of recycled soda pop cans.:fawkdancesmiley::haha:

I have yet to hear anything factual about shaved 14B breaking more often than non-shaved.

I have heard that breaking a shaft can cause the locker to simultaneously fail.

I am working on putting a D60/14B in my junk. The plan is to run stock shafts. I doubt I will need more with a V6.

I'd do what Darren said to do.

I have yet to hear anything factual about shaved 14B breaking more often than non-shaved.

I have heard that breaking a shaft can cause the locker to simultaneously fail.

I am working on putting a D60/14B in my juntk. The plan is to run stock shafts. I doubt I will need more with a V6.

I'd do what Darren said to do.

Ya im building this 14b for the rear and i have a King Pin Dana 60 for the front ill start building as soon as the 14b is done.

I suppose i will be starting a thread here pretty soon about the shave kit. Id be looking for some advice and tips on how not to **** it up.