• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt hub seal question

D-LUX

Anyone ever use a newer hub seal off a 10.5/11.5 gm 14 bolt? timken part # SL260002

Reason I'm asking is I've got an older 14 bolt and the spindles are meh at best. Bearing surfaces are ok but the flat where the seal rides is pitted. I thought about using a speedi sleeve but they're $50 a pop.

The newer seals are supposedly a two piece design that seats on the hub and the spindle. Thus the seal wouldn't contact the rough spot on the axle I guess it would ride in itself?

Any more info on this or anyone that's tried it?

Thanks in advance
Scott'

/i\

Yes, I am running the seals from a 2004 GMC 2500, on my CUCV 14 bolt. I had trouble with seals leaking from rusted sealing surfaces too. The late model seals fixe the problem, been running them a 5 or 6 years now with no leaks.

Cool deal, what was the rear axle application? The 10.5 or 11.5?

EDIT

Nvm answered my own question, it's the 11.5 rear. Thanks again for the info
/i\

im not sure of this would apply iv done it to mine and never had an issue and with hydraulic cylinder metal ring wipers I do this on every one due to tolerances getting worn over time with rebuilding a cylinder and clean up. try adding a light coat of lock tight to the outter surface of the seal seat on the metal ring. rub it in around it and install. worked for me time and time again and a good seal chisel will still pop it right back out then clean it and do it again. might be wrong but has always worked for me thumb.gif

You can use a speedy sleeve for grooves or rust pits on the spindles to fix the leaking I have used a couple in the past on 14 bolts got mine from Oreillys

KVINSON said:
You can use a speedy sleeve for grooves or rust pits on the spindles to fix the leaking I have used a couple in the past on 14 bolts got mine from Oreillys

That's what the original plan was till I found that they were 50$ a piece, that's why I started looking around for a different sealing option..

Worse comes to worse ill fork over the cash for them just seeing what else I can do first

/i\