• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14-Bolt questions????

Patriot Customs

Ok..so I bought (2) 14-bolts that came out of military trucks. They are stuffed with 4:56s and Detriot Lockers. I need some feedback on the carriers. I have been doing a little research and trying to gather as many opinions as possible but I would like to hear what you guys have to say. Do they really lock up like an aftermarket Detriot or should I save the aggrevation and just install spools?

I am also building a steer 14-bolt. How do you figure out how long to make the overall length of the tubes? I dont have all of my parts yet so I guess If I knew what the measurement from any point on the Inner C to the WMS I would be set. I could do the math from there, but maybe its not that easy. :dunno:

The Detroits in those axles are actual factual Detroits - for the most part, same as you could order today. Granted, they are now 30 years old, they still seem to be fine for wheeling. If you plan on bouncing this and are committed to blowing up shafts, the Detroits tend to shear teeth when the shafts go.

Also, the Detroits are obviously the funky 30-spline of the 14 bolts. I believe most people run 35 or 40 spline at the diff, so spools are the easiest way to do that. AFAIK, you can't buy a different side gear to make a 14BFF Detroit into anything other than Corporate 30-spline.

We've run into stock carriers eventually oblonging one of the bearing surfaces and letting the bearing move around enough to eventually cause gear problems.this is in buggies with some woo pow tho.when you pull the carriers back out after some serious run time there will be one bearing that will fall off. Spools are made out of better material and don't seem to have this problem.

Thanks for your input guys. I am still torn between which way I want to go with these axle builds. I dont believe this rig will be entered into any bouncing competitions but you can bet im going to drive it that way! I have a 500 horse 383 and plan on using all of it. Its going to be backed with a TH350, an Atlas 4.3 with competition cut gears and 410 outputs.

I still need some feedback on how to figure what length to cut the new tubes for the front axle. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I have a lot to learn about all this Heavy Duty running gear needed for abuse. I just dont wanna build it twice because "I should have done it the other way". Let me hear it guys! :popcorn:

IMO...

Sell the Detroits before they are junk and buy spools. ECGS typically stocks them.

What C, knuckle, and hub are you running? I can go measure a setup right quick and get you started on that cut.

I bought Solid Dana 60 Cs and knuckles from Essentialy Off Road. I've been letting them direct me on the build. I haven't bought any hubs yet.

crawlin85cj said:
IMO...

Sell the Detroits before they are junk and buy spools. ECGS typically stocks them.

What C, knuckle, and hub are you running? I can go measure a setup right quick and get you started on that cut.

Were you able to come up with a measurement for me?

Yes. That's from the edge of the C that is closest to the diff out to the wms

A Solid C has more depth to press on the tube than a stock C. I think I cut my housing for 2" of tube to press into the C. BTW if you've never installed a Solid C with their you better get ready, they bore them TIGHT.

crawlin85cj said:
Yes. That's from the edge of the C that is closest to the diff out to the wms

A Solid C has more depth to press on the tube than a stock C. I think I cut my housing for 2" of tube to press into the C. BTW if you've never installed a Solid C with their you better get ready, they bore them TIGHT.
. Your help is much appreciated!