• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14b Master install kit?

zjtrey

I was doing some (needs to me more regular) maintenance yesterday and found this...

793AB163-F181-4A35-8EB4-D09C79A75CD8-9832-00000C2DCFB2BE9A_zpsa4c420d3.jpg

The passenger side carrier bearing has spun a little in the housing but doesn't appear to have spun on the carrier. It looks like I didn't have enough preload on the carrier.

I have another set of gears to put in it but I need a master install kit.

Who has the best prices on an install kit with quality bearings?

Thanks!

I have been getting all of the gear related items from East Coast Gear Supply. What was your backlash at when you finished the gear install last time and did you tighten the driver side cap last?

These gears have been setup since 2005 if i'm remembering correctly so I honestly couldn't tell you how much the backlash was.

as to which side cap was tightened last... i dunno... is there some black magic i don't konw about?

Hopefully I'll be setting the replacements up this weekend and I'll post what I end up with..

Elliot... I'm sure the crush sleeve was setup correctly initially but theres no guarantee driveline vibration hadn't backed the pinion nut off, I've not torn into it that far yet.. I'll let ya know when i get it pulled out on friday.

thanks for the thoughts..

If you have been running the gear set up since 05 then I doubt your issue had anything to do with the set up more to do with wear and tear. As for the driver side cap last vs passenger side. It just has to do with maintaining the correct backlash settings. The ring gear wants to walk away from the pinion under load. If you tighten the ring gear side last to achieve your backlash, you are less likely to have anything move when you place the ring and pinion under load. It is a good, better,best methodology is all.

Last 14 bolt I helped to gear, we used the crush sleeve eliminator and this helped a lot. Took a little trial and error to get the right preload but was much better than trying to get that sleeve crushed.

Weezul said:
Last 14 bolt I helped to gear, we used the crush sleeve eliminator and this helped a lot. Took a little trial and error to get the right preload but was much better than trying to get that sleeve crushed.

where did you get the eliminator from?