• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14b or dana 60 front

jmc

Building a 4 seat buggy. I have a stock chevy 60 front that I planned on building. Will a 60 hold up or should I build a 14 bolt front? I will be running a 5.3 t400 stack with 43 stickies.

For what you pay for a stock 60 then knuckles shafts diff cover etc. You can start with a stock 14 for couple hundred bucks and have to buy the same parts. you will have to respline the inners and have it tubed but if you got 800 plus more in the stock axle you will be in them about the same. I kick myself in the ass all the time for buildin a 60. :****:

depending on how you drive, even a built 60 will not hold up to 43 stickies. you're are better off starting with a hp60 or 14 bolt center section. personally i'm looking to build a hp passenger drop axle with a ford superduty center section in the future. i really don't think the offset of a 14 bolt center section will fit my buggy.

i've seen one dana 60 gear set killed on a buggy with 43sx stickies, he went to the jana 76 setup w/ load bolt and girdles. another buddy of mine has been through 3 sets of 60 gears in his buggy on 42" bfg tsl's, another has killed a spicer gear set with 39 krawlers, he's looking to go to the jana kit. i've been through one gear set with my buggy on 39's. most recently i twisted both a stub and short side inner superior 4340 shafts and the ring and pinion survived, so i was happy with that but i know i just got lucky.

So if I go with a 14 bolt center I would have a stronger gear set right ? What about the inner and outer shafts?

Re:

Been running 43 stickies for over 2 years on my buggy, 450 plus hp, 4000lb buggy-60 still holding up. 5.13, ARB, superior rolled spline chromoly inners & outers, ctm's, reid outer knuckles.....

Not a bouncer, but bitch gets beat. ....

But when it does grenade, will build a 14 bolt.

jmc said:
Will the gear rotation be correct in a14 bolt if used as a front end ?

Correct as it "Will it turn the right direction?". Yes.

Correct as in "Will it be running on the drive side of the gear set?" No

tonybolton said:
They're usually half the cost of a 14b bolt. So, 200$ vs. 100$ ;)
so where are you buying dana 80 axles for 100 if you can ill take 20 right now

Latest posts