• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1985 toy axle hub/spindle new?

I dont think wearing down the bearing surface for your wheel bearings counts as breaking anything inside the axle for this time around, haha.

How would you plan on repairing the wheel bearing surface of the spindle? Its machined to a diameter for the inside of the bearing/race. If its scored, you could only make it smaller by machining/grinding/polishing it down smaller, and since he said its already too small causing a wheel wobble... I guess you could machine it and then make a custom sleeve like a speedy sleeve for it, but I think finding a new/used spindle would be easier :D

He wants a new spindle because the wheel bearing area is scored from what I understand. The point is that after he gets a new spindle to solve that problem, it needs to be machined as shown so that it will work with the birf kit he has.

I would try and find used ones myself though, and just have those machined to work. I dont see why it would make a big difference other than being clean or not since the brass bushing on the inside of the spindle is changed to a different one anyway (at least I think it is). So, as long as the wheel bearing surface is good on the outside of the spindle, the threads are good for the wheel bearing nuts you should be ok since you dont re-use the Toyota brass bushing (right?). There are no other "wear" surfaces on the spindles, so new or used shouldnt matter too much IMO.

Then again, what do I know. I run 30 spline Longfields :fawkdancesmiley:

~T.J.

Wow, Your talking like a guy who works at a machine shop.
who's never made a chip

The bearing surfaces have over 300,000 miles on them since they were installed plus what ever was on them before the used piece was originally machined for the kit. That is the main reason they are getting worn. The bearing did spin on the damaged spindle damaging it worse. I may have to buy used & have them machined, just wanted to have 2 spindles in good condition to pass on to the kid. Those are the only wear surfaces present. I seem to remember getting the kit before the Rock Crawling Nationals in Cedar City, I think it was the very first one. Don't remember if it was before the Vantage event. I am old & my memory sucks.

PM Markm...he should have a good used one, if not--I am pretty sure I've got an extra one or two....let me know if interested...

Just get another used pair, not really a wear part, yours was damaged when your wheel bearing **** the bed. Have the new set hot tanked and you wont be able to tell the difference between your used parts and new replacements.

Even if there is some aftermarket company making new spindles, I doubt they are made to the same quality as a factory toyota spindle. I would offer to machine the spindle for you since I will be in Richland for thanksgiving, but my lathe belt broke months ago and I have been to lazy to replace it.

I called Magic Toyota, $286.00 each, damn. Talked to Randys ring & pinion. The one they use in the present kit may work for mine ( although I have been told it won't by others). I will take one in & compare this week. $90 for a new piece machined to work (maybe). I will go this route if it matches possibly. By the time I get a used one & have it machined the price would be almost comparable.

thats easy. they build it up with weld, and machine it back to spec. VERY easy.
I wouldn't go with VERY easy for that process... Thats why it costs so much more to have it done to a crank compared to just simply machining it, or replacing the thing.

Wow, Your talking like a guy who works at a machine shop.
who's never made a chip
:fawkdancesmiley:

~T.J.

I was able to use the spindles from Randys birf eliminator kit. Bit the bullet & bought 2 at 90 bucks each. Brand new parts so I will see how they last. The damned wheel bearings, races and seals were almost $140. Parts prices have gone up a bit. Thank you all for the suggestions.

I was able to use the spindles from Randys birf eliminator kit. Bit the bullet & bought 2 at 90 bucks each. Brand new parts so I will see how they last. The damned wheel bearings, races and seals were almost $140. Parts prices have gone up a bit. Thank you all for the suggestions.

You got hosed the OEM stuff from Marlin is only $90 and you could have added it in with your order from him anyway... :flipoff: