• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1987 XJ Jeep Igintion Tumbler Removal

whiterice

need to remove the key tumbler assembly from the steering column but not sure how. Chilton's was no help. also the key is lost. Thanks for any help in advance.

I presume it has the GM-style squareheaded key....
Got to pull the steering wheel off, then remove the lockring under that to access the turn signal switch; remove switch from column and carefully pull it and the wires back to clear the column shaft, then position aside; remove the torx screw holding the little white plastic horn contact, then remove the contact; remove the bigger torx screw that holds the tumbler in the column; remove tumbler and replace; reverse removal procedure for reassembly.... The job is alot easier with a few special tools--:D I know, cuz I've done it the old way, and with the tools I bought:redneck: ....

I saw something like that online but thought you had to have the key in the switch and in the on position to remove it. Will it come out without any key?

Been awhile since I've had one of these apart, but I don't think so, it's the large torx screw that holds the GM style tumbler in the column....I know on the late model fords, you do have to have the switch in the 'run' position...

It does NOT need the key to be in the on position to be pulled out. I have recently assisted in two such tumbler replacements on vehicles with the GM style column (what the '87 XJ has), and zukkev's instructions are spot on. The autozone down the street has a tool that supposedly helps with removing the backing plate from the column.

Last edited:
its just gonna be a beater.. what do you guys think beating the crap out of it with chisels and punches and using a screwdriver to start it:redneck: ??

its just gonna be a beater.. what do you guys think beating the crap out of it with chisels and punches and using a screwdriver to start it:redneck: ??

Just do it right, it ain't that hard. You'll need a second set of hands or the tool from Autozone to remove and re-install the lock plate, but if you've got a puller set, a torx bit set, some snap ring pliers and a screwdriver or two you'll be able to get it done no problem.