• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1995 YJ flat towing

GRNTACO

This Space Blank
Asking for my boss......

He wants to flat tow it behind his motorhome......Jeep dealer says no problem but some others say not to becasue of the oil pump in the transfercase?

Any info would be coo!

If I recall correctly, should be fine. The only ones you can NOT tow are those with the D300 t-case. Those are the 1980 to 1986 CJs.

T-case in neutral, trans. in gear if manual, park if auto. If doing it for long distance and it was mine, I'd pull the driveshafts from the axles and tie 'em up out of the way. The oil pump on the t-case is on the output side, so as long as the driveshaft is turning it's getting oiled.

J

T-case in neutral, trans. in gear if manual, park if auto. If doing it for long distance and it was mine, I'd pull the driveshafts from the axles and tie 'em up out of the way. The oil pump on the t-case is on the output side, so as long as the driveshaft is turning it's getting oiled.

J

What is long distance? He would be towing from Tacoma area to Yakima area for bird hunting.

Unless you pull the driveshafts do NOT flat tow the YJ. Friend of mine just had the auto rebuilt. They figured flat towing would be ok. They towed to the Rubicon and never wheeled. Expensive repair.

Unless you pull the driveshafts do NOT flat tow the YJ. Friend of mine just had the auto rebuilt. They figured flat towing would be ok. They towed to the Rubicon and never wheeled. Expensive repair.

He must have left the auto in neutral, not park.

J

Like was said above, you can, but ten minutes underneath, and tying up the front and rear driveshaft equates to a matter of piece of mind. He can disconnect them at the pumpkins and tie 'em up.