• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1X Tags for 1 ton trucks

Mac320

Has anyone been stopped by Alabama DOT and told they needed a 1 or 2X tag ? A friend of mine was pulledover in a f350 with a loaded gooseneck trailer at a portable weigh station and told he was overweight for his tag, they said a passenger tag is only up to 8,000lbs.

I have always rang X1 and was told by my local DMV when i was renewing my tags that it had recently changed and that as long as you have the correct tag for your trailer you were fine without an X1 tag now.... Who knows if that is correct or not though

The trooper didn't question him about his trailer. I just renewed my tow pig tag and they said nothing about different tag options, it looks like they would issue a tag based on the gvwr anyway.

Re:

DOT officers will make up stuff to justify their job. Seen em do it a few times.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Missouri has differnt weight tags for pickups. You can get 6000, 12,000, 18,000, 24,000 and I think next step goes to 30,000 but at that point its farm or commercial.

I assumed all states ran on a similar system. And troopers aren't real picky here but it all depends on the cop if they want to nit pick it or not.

Usually dot don't mess with non commercial vehicles unless they think they're trying to cheat and not get a dot number and pay ur taxes, dot officers are usually jack offs that couldn't pass the trooper test so they think they're tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would have been nice to know this 2 weeks ago, my bad for not doing the states job for them. Thanks for the answers..

Haven't heard of different tags like that.

Does anyone not have a tag on their trailer? I've never been stopped but that doesn't mean anything. Not sure what the repercussions would be if someone wanted to push it.

I have never had a tag on any trailer other than a enclosed trailer and have been all over Tn, Al, Ga, ignorance is bliss I guess, unfortunately I know now, sooooo it's only a matter of time before I get a ticket, atleast thats my luck.

I always ran a weighted tag in Alabama and every year the woman at the tag office told me I was crazy. They (have been told by more then one) always say that it is same price to get a ticket or two as it is to pay for the tag. But every time I ask for it they told me I was crazy for buying it. The only time I have ever had anything said was when I was obviously doing something else to get puller over for.

I moved to Mississippi last year and asked for a weighted tag. the lady said "I didn't know this was a commercial vehicle". I told her it is not a commercial vehicle but at times I carry loads that exceed a standard tag. She told me if I wasn't commercial it was a waste of money and continued ringing up the standard tag. I didn't argue so I guess I will see.

I run tags on any trailer big enough to carry a vehicle. Seems I have never been bothered when just having a small utility trailer.

It's crazy state to state- in TN you bought by weight you carry.
Moved to TX and you buy tags based on trailer carrying loads but tag by vehicle is standard.
One thing we did do when we bought race trailer was put the "not for hire" private RV stickers on it.

I have always run tags on my trailers in alabama. I feel like the DOT is alot pickier towards commercial "looking" loads. We weighed 32k lbs when we drove to the hammers and back. Didnt get stopped once and passed a fair share of DOT trucks.

Well ****, this just reminded me that all of my plates expired today. ****.

Nothing else to add to your thread. Sorry.

Here in Michigan, probably 12-15 years ago, they made trailer plates permanent. Purchase a trailer plate once and it's good for as long as you own it. A standard car trailer is $75. It's kinda nice. One less thing to have to renew

Re:

Ga has permanent tags for trailers, $48, still have to pay tax every year, but no tag fee.

fabricator1 said:
Here in Michigan, probably 12-15 years ago, they made trailer plates permanent. Purchase a trailer plate once and it's good for as long as you own it. A standard car trailer is $75. It's kinda nice. One less thing to have to renew

Here in TN we have that option also. It's a "semi" tag. I give $80 bucks for a lifetime tag for my 18' car hauler, prolly 10+ years ago. Never had the first issue here or out of state. Here just recently had a local cop that's a friend tell me that "semi" tag makes me a commercial vehicle .... :dunno: thinking of pulling it off till I get some clarification.

In Mississippi we have B class tags 10,16,20,24. Then on heavy trailers you can get semi tags. The B class tags are done through the state and not County. But the paperwork is done at the same tax assessors office or whatever. They cost just a little more than the residential tags.

Yes. We had to upgrade to a x3 tag to haul 26,000 lbs. Got a citation for a utility trailer tag on our gooseneck and a std tag on one of our ton trucks. I'll get more clarification if anyone needs it.