• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2.0 air's for a bouncer style crawler?

DAkk

Hey. Guys, after my "why are foa's so cheap" thread turned me away from them, then turned into a kinda for sale thread., then being laid off for two months,. I've decided to throw some airshocks on my buggy to hopefully be ridin by July.. I haven't put it on scales yet, but from resting on mock up "stubs" I can lift the buggy's sprung weight off the axles, so by total blind-redneck-imagineeration., I'm thinkin it's under 500lbs per corner, which falls in line with all the 2.0's I think.. So what's my best bet for under $300 a corner? I need 16" in front and 18" in back..

i ran a set of 2.0s ona jimmy smith buggy for a few years , sure they worked but they road like **** and didn't take hits well, I actually blew seals out from the hard hits and bounces, im not saying they wont work but I am saying they arnt designed for bouncing . I tuned on them a lot and got the body role out and had them working as good as they could, I finally switched to c/o and what a difference, never again on air shocks

You can buy fox emulsion coilover's for $300 a corner, get in touch with daves offroad or a vendor.

I just priced poly performance online with pirate 10% discount for what your needing $1,241.82 You would still need springs. summit or speedway, I would almost bet a vendor could get you better pricing though

Don't know about 2.0 but my buddy has been running 18in 2.5 for a year and a half now and loves them.limiting strap at every corner and a sway bar in the rear.took some patience but I didn't think they would preform this well

Alight guys, just finished up 2 60 hour weeks at the fab shop, so payday is lookin good for my buggy. I'm gonna order a pair of fox 2.0x16x7/8 emulsion coilovers with 16x150 over 16x200 springs for the front to get a baseline on spring rates... Am I on the right track here?

Re: Re: 2.0 air's for a bouncer style crawler?

DAkk said:
Alight guys, just finished up 2 60 hour weeks at the fab shop, so payday is lookin good for my buggy. I'm gonna order a pair of fox 2.0x16x7/8 emulsion coilovers with 16x150 over 16x200 springs for the front to get a baseline on spring rates... Am I on the right track here?
Rule of thumb is keep your lower spring 2" longer than shock travel, and upper spring same length as shock travel, which would be a 16" 150 spring on top of a 18" 200 spring on a 16" travel c/o. 150/200 is probably a good spring rate basis to start with, so that should get you started good.

Thanks guys!!

How much up travel are you planning to run?

With drivetrain specs and rough suspension numbers we can get a good start at spring rate.

Drivetrain is a 5.3/700/241, 115" wheelbase, front axle center is 8" ahead of the harmonic balancer bolt, there will be a 75lb winch directly Obove the front axle.
I'm hoping for around 7" up travel.. I can get angle measurements and whatever else could help when I get home from work tonight.
Thanks for the help guys..

Can you measure the shock angles (in and forward/back)?

A picture is always helpful too.

Thanks!
Ryan

I flexed it out as good as I could by myself tonight.. I've settled on 20 degrees back, and 22 degrees in. 7" of up travel will put my belly at 20" and it will use all of a 16" shock without letting the 43's eat the springs at full stuff and full lock..
Thanks again for the help. I'm getting excited to have this thing support it's own weight.

DAkk said:
I flexed it out as good as I could by myself tonight.. I've settled on 20 degrees back, and 22 degrees in. 7" of up travel will put my belly at 20" and it will use all of a 16" shock without letting the 43's eat the springs at full stuff and full lock..
Thanks again for the help. I'm getting excited to have this thing support it's own weight.

Use this to get the right springs and preload after you getting it sitting on the current springs.

http://metalwerxdesign.com/files/springcalculatorv2.xlsx

nhl_bullitt said:
^ Ryan helped me out last year!
So far Ryan was spot on with my rates. If they settle a 1/4" to 1/2" after I ride a little then he'll have been EXACT with nothing more than a parts list and a couple of measurements. :dblthumb:

Beerj said:
So far Ryan was spot on with my rates. If they settle a 1/4" to 1/2" after I ride a little then he'll have been EXACT with nothing more than a parts list and a couple of measurements. :dblthumb:

This is what I'm after.. Took me a while, but I finally got my head around spending a paycheck on a pair of shocks.. My buggy is only 3/4 done, so I can still move weight around too.. If Ryan can get me close, I'll finally have what I need to finish the chassis.. I will be buying from accutune in the near future..