• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2.2 Tire testing

Dude

I have been playing with the 2.2 Red Rocks for a week now.

2 things I have discovered.

One thing is they do not like a fast wheel speed and slow to go is the way to drive these tires.

The second thing is the tire doesn't need a lot of weight on it. I am only running 3 oz's in the front and no weight in the rear. A very light rig is the way with this tire. I do run 3 oz's on the rear axle in the center so a 1.5 split will also do per tire on the rear.

As far as "hopping" or wheel hop, they are not as bad as my cut Moabs and they do out preform the Moabs hands down.

I also did some sipping on the red rocks and it seems to have increased the performance at least 30%. I also run the pro line foams but they are about a 1/4" too small and it hurts the performance of these tires. I am going to "belt" the tread carcass with high density 1/8" foam like you would use for a canopy seal on a pick up truck. That should stabilize the lugs from turning over on themselves.

I did not "groove" them, I "sipped" with a mini saw and a dremal. I did some "cross" type patterns on the biggest lugs and siped the outer lugs by the side biters lengthways for a side bite stability. That help a lot, and I left the second biggest lugs alone.

The ultimate plan is to take 8 tires to make 4. I know it is not cheap at $80 for a set of tires but competing is a no holds bared type of sport. I will be adding the lugs from one tire to another and sipe accordingly. You basically will have a "krawler" type of tire to work with and they should work really good. I won't be adding any side biter lugs with the combo I am going to put together, that way a large "void " between the lugs will still be there for the side bite on these tires.

I am going to test today with a set of new mashers against the red rocks. I won't be surprised if they come out dead even.

I would not be discouraged on this tire yet, in my opinion a lot of you guys are geared way too high. I am at 8:1 off the trans and it is just right with a 55 turn lathe motor. This is "crawling" not "racing" we are doing.

The mashers work really good with a lot of wheel speed but any tire can be "burned in" and make a bite to go up. A really good set up rig shouldn't even be hardly spinning a tire to make a climb and we all should know that.

With that said I will be continuing to make the 2.2 red rock work and we need a big tire were we crawl. We run the big rocks with holes that can swallow a TLT no problem. The Supers are even really challenged at "the beach"

Last edited:
well so far the Mashers are not really doing anything over the 2.2 RR's

The mashers are too small and the RR's need some more work. Now that I have the lug roll over problem solved I think adding a little more weight now will help.

I still haven't put the 8 to make 4 tires together yet because I would like to see if one set can be made to work. The "belting" helped a lot but now the centers are still "cupping" in. I think one piece of foam added in the center to make the tread face a more rounded profile might fix the problem.

I also have to do some more sipping with a razor blade but only half way deep into the lug. So far everything I have tried is working to make the 2.2 RR's work better than a stock Red Rock tire.

sipping with a razor takes time, so be prepared. :haha: :haha:

I just have one tire left and it's show time again. :cool:

well I have the traction but now the rig got too heavy and can't climb what it did before. So, guess what? It's cut up a set to make a set time. :haha:

These $80 tires (8 tires all together) better work or I am hanging the TLT on the wall until somebody can make a damn tire for these things.:rolleyes:

I don't like the Mashers 2k's because they are too small for what we have here to crawl on. I wish Pro line would get off there ass and make a 5.5" Masher in 2.2. I guess I got spoiled with a big truck. :redneck: :haha:

That is one thing I miss about the big trucks, they are way easier to make work right because they actually have tires that work like they should.

I am pretty sure by filling the voids on the 2.2 RR's should work, the rubber compound is there and softer than a 2.2 Moab.

I hope this works, the tire is turning into a "krawler" type pattern. The tire has gotten heavier and will need a very soft foam.

Attachments

• Picture (Small).jpg
    Picture (Small).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 107
VMGontheRocks said:
Geez how much time did you spend on that?
I have about 5 hours into these tires.

I haven't been able to do any testing yet. I need a whole new foam for the tire now and haven't gone anywere to get them.

I am going to a foam place tomorrow if the store is still there and build a 2 stage foam set up for these. I basically have to start over on the weight and foam design because now the tires are a whole different tire than from stock.

Last edited:
Dude said:
I have about 5 hours into these tires.

I haven't been able to do any testing yet. I need a whole new foam for the tire now and haven't gone anywere to get them.

I am going to a foam place tomorrow if the store is still there and build a 2 stage foam set up for these. I basically have to start over on the weight and foam design because now the tires are a whole different tire than from stock.
Well I can't wait to see the finished results.

It looks like I have to order some foams from Losi or somebody to get what I have in mind.

But I do have some Pro Line Masher foams I am going to play with and do some crawling this evening.

and I also broke down and got a really big hobby table, so now I can clean off my coffee table for once. :haha: :haha: :redneck:

Dude said:
It looks like I have to order some foams from Losi or somebody to get what I have in mind.

But I do have some Pro Line Masher foams I am going to play with and do some crawling this evening.

and I also broke down and got a really big hobby table, so now I can clean off my coffee table for once. :haha: :haha: :redneck:
How big? I have a workbench and a 4' Table and I still work need more room. I am in the process of cleaning it all up so I can work at one of them.

VMGontheRocks said:
How big? I have a workbench and a 4' Table and I still work need more room. I am in the process of cleaning it all up so I can work at one of them.
I bought a folding banquet table, 6' x 30" something.

I am buying a cool little folding table and an all terrain wagon to haul my junk down to the beach. :cool: :cool: complete with an optima battery for charging on site. :D

I am about to go try these new tires out and will let ya all know how it goes tonight.

YEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA!!

these tires work awesome so far!!!

Here is the break down....

Tires are as seen in picture

Foams are regular Pro Line foams from Masher/Moab with the outside corners trimmed at a bevel and then sipped with a razor on the outside about a half inch and about a half inch apart for getting them soft.

The weight is 3.5 oz per tire on the front with 1 oz on the front of the axle housing + battery

3.5 oz per tire on the rear with no additional weight.

The wheel base won't cut it with everybody's rules, but it is at 13"s

Traxxas shocks with blacks on the rear and reds up front, I could do some spring tuning and get even better.

Right now I am climbing stuff a 2.2 Moab would dream about and a Masher would have trouble do to small size with some wheel speed as usual, but now with out bucking out of control.

I am very happy with this set up so far and yes 8 tires to make 4 isn't cheap. Who said competing would be cheap anyways. :haha:

and the tires take a bit of time to do right and damn near a whole bottle of IC 2000.

Imex!! if your listening!! take a look at the pic and start making these things right!!!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :flipoff:

Doug - For belting, you are just sticking the weaterh strip foam to the inside of the tire? Is this a new method, or something you are already doing?

I ask because I have a set of used M2K's on the way, and plan on adding weight to them. I'm not sure if I want to run shot or stick on, but I don't think I can use shot and foam. I know you said something at the first comp about putting a whole tire inside a tire, but I don't really want to buy two sets to get one. I don't think I have anything on hand that will work.

Any suggestions?

Todd1803 said:
Doug - For belting, you are just sticking the weaterh strip foam to the inside of the tire? Is this a new method, or something you are already doing?

I ask because I have a set of used M2K's on the way, and plan on adding weight to them. I'm not sure if I want to run shot or stick on, but I don't think I can use shot and foam. I know you said something at the first comp about putting a whole tire inside a tire, but I don't really want to buy two sets to get one. I don't think I have anything on hand that will work.

Any suggestions?

I actually "belted" the foam, but now with the added tread you won't need it.

as for "belting" Mashers?? We used to put one or 2 layers of duct tape on the inside of the tread carcuss on Holeshots back in the day when I raced.

You could try that and see if it would stabilize a Masher with out foams.
But to honest, I would just cut the foams to whatever is working these days and weight up with wheel weights on the rim inside. I finally broke down and went that route and it works good.

You can get a whole box of wheel weights at Les Swab for $15 and you will be set for a long time. Or they will sell you some buy the strip, they weigh 3.5oz's per stip and you just stick them on.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will just use the tape-a-weight. I cut the foams on my Moabs, and generally like how they turned out (except for no weight in them) so I will go a similar route with the M2K's.

Besides, BB's sound funny