• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2001 5.3 chev.. turns over wont start??

Flexy Backhand

something cool?
driving my dads chev pickup home this morning, it started cutting out and sputtering like it was out of gas,,,, I turned around since I dont trust the damn gauge( it goes crazy all the ****ing time) and headed towards the gas station...It died and I rolled into the station..put $10 worth of gas in and tried it.. turns over but doesnt fire..not even a sputter???

were not used to these new fangled engines..lol.. were thinking fuel pump?? or....????

Can you hear the pump run when you turn the key to the run position? Or when you shut the key off from the run position??? Try swapping the fuel pump relay for another in the box---lots of circuits use the same relay; That's all I got with the info I have....oh, and yes there are lots of issues with the fuel tank senders/pumps in these!!!

Go bang the **** out of the gas tank....sometimes that will make it run for a few more starts.

get some starting fluid and take the air filter out and shoot some starting fluid in while its being turned over. If it fires and runs on starting fluid and then dies out when spray is stopped then its fuel related. If that doesnt make it cough and fire then its spark/elec related.

get some starting fluid and take the air filter out and shoot some starting fluid in while its being turned over. If it fires and runs on starting fluid and then dies out when spray is stopped then its fuel related. If that doesnt make it cough and fire then its spark/elec related.

On my chev when the fuel pump went out i tried the starting fluid thing and it wouldnt even try to fire. So im not sure if there is a spark shut off when the fuel pump dies :scratchhead:.....I went ahead and put in the new fuel pump and it started right up.

Press the pin down on the shrader valve on the fuel rail. See if fuel comes out. If i does then check for spark. If it doesnt check for power at the fuel pump. If thier is power at the pump and no fuel to the fuel rail. I would go out on a limb and claim the fuel pump. If you have no spark or fuel psi. Then look into a crank position sensor. Those trucks are known for the cps to go out. Any other questions 253-332-1307 is my number.:awesomework:

Soo thanks for all the input.. did the shrader valve deal and its the Fuel pump.. $270 bucks or so..lol.. apparently these type of pumps tend to overheat if you run 1/4 tank of fuel or less often??? weird but our mechanic says it hapens alot to these..lol...

thanks again!

Chevs are notorious for bad fuel pumps in those trucks. You should here the one that's in my truck now. I really should start carrying a spare.:eeek:

I think on those there is a defective plug on the pump/harness and the new pump will come with a new harness that will need to be wired in. I have done a few of these and there pretty easy to do. :awesomework:

I think on those there is a defective plug on the pump/harness and the new pump will come with a new harness that will need to be wired in. I have done a few of these and there pretty easy to do. :awesomework:

The plug is fine. You have been installing the CHEAP pump, not a dealer replacement. The cheapies have a different plug and will give you one to cut and make your fit. That way they can sell one pump for 100 different rigs and just give you the plug to make it work.

If it is dead and you bypass the plug it still wont work. trust me if was just a plastic plug that went bad on these I would have just put my own plug on the last two I have done and saved over 300 bucks.

fuel pump indeed.. I just had mine go out and thentwo weeks later my dads went out.. 99 with a 5.3 and a 2001 with a 4.8.. If you have a friend that works at an autoparts store nows the time to hit him up you can get it for around 200$