• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2002 escape power steering help

jangel

Wife's 2002 ford escape started making noise yesterday when turning the steering wheel. Checked fluid and its full. Noise only happens when turning from a stopped position and doesn't seem to do it at speed. the noise seems to be coming from the lower in the car and not at the pump. Tried crawling under there to take a look and didn't see anything loose, but who knows. Any ideas before I take it to the mechanic to diagnose?

If it IS noise from the power steering, we've fixed several of those just by doing a thorough power steering flush.

The noise is a squeaking noise and appears to be coming from the rack and not the pump. Fluid is old so maybe I'll start with a flush and see.

More than likely a dry tie rod end or lower ball joint. They are non-greasable... Take a stethoscope, and have someone turn the wheel while you listen by touching each socket with the end of the scope, you will find the culprit...

What's the best way to flush this thing? Searching has come up with sucking it out of the reservoir and refilling several times? This seems like a waste of good fluid. Can I just disconnect one of the lines to the cooler and drain it that way? I can see those lines and may actually be able to get my hands on those if that'll work.

You can do a basic flush by pulling the return line. I would suck the reservoir, put in a half can of seafoam, run it for 20-30 minutes, THEN do the flush by pulling the return line and topping off the fluid. Or drive to Auburn and I do the whole flush for $100. :D John