• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2004 Cummins - smokey starts

If i had injector issues, wouldn't it run poorly all the time?

Not always, I am a GM diesel drivability tech and the early duramaxs had injector issues and they will have high injector balance rates and run rough at idle but clear up and clear up above idle, usually due to a leaky injector. I would bet its an injector issue but i am not too familiar with cummers even though i used to own one.

I will drain the water at the fuel filter (again) and look at the intake for oil.

Thanks again for everybodys input.

Does anyone think that driving this truck right now is damaging?

If its anything serious it SHOULD throw a code, SHOULD.

For the most part yes

Irreversible damage can happen if your oil level starts growing (diesel in the oil) If it were my truck I would check it many times if in question, injector seals or a cracked injector wont throw a code.

I found this site to be very helpful in my trucks quirks, like the fuel connection between the injector and the fuel pipe that was not tightened properly on mine (felt like a bad plug wire on a gas rig)) fun fun, a bad torque converter made for a very similar feeling.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

edit:
BTW I had to empty the separator around 5X's over many mornings for it to go away on my 2004. So you know, I checked Identifix (tech help system) and this is not a common problem people are reporting "yet" , I am interested in what the fix is on your rig. :redneck:

good luck bfe :beer:

Last edited:
Just drive it and check your oil, if it seems to get higher on the stick then you have probs, otherwise drive it. If it idles rough after warm then maybe an injector. :beer:

For the most part yes

Irreversible damage can happen if your oil level starts growing (diesel in the oil) If it were my truck I would check it many times if in question, injector seals or a cracked injector wont throw a code.

bfe :beer:

Thats why I made SHOULD very clear, I get injector problems with codes and without. I usually pull the glow plug, of the cylinder with the problem and crank it over, if its a leaky injector you will have raw fuel shoot out the glow plug hole, but without a scanner you cant look at injector data. The dealership is :rb: for just sending you on your way like that. Take it back and complain of the same problem again and them your not paying the hour for diag this time.

Thats why I made SHOULD very clear, I get injector problems with codes and without. I usually pull the glow plug, of the cylinder with the problem and crank it over, if its a leaky injector you will have raw fuel shoot out the glow plug hole, but without a scanner you cant look at injector data. The dealership is :rb: for just sending you on your way like that. Take it back and complain of the same problem again and them your not paying the hour for diag this time.

Last time I checked cummins 5.9's don't have glow plugs.:haha:

Sorry fawkers, I diddnt know, like I stated earlier, I dont know cummins, never done anything but an oil change on one. Duramax has glow plugs though, thats what I was refering to. :kissmyass:

Yes, slow going uphills is what I do now.....................I have a gasser 6 liter chevy.

I miss my ford stroker, it was good to me. :booo:

I think the word "now" should be replaced with the word always. I have been in the Ford while towing and fast is definetly not the word I would have used to descibe it. I guess if 35mph is fast uphill.................:stirpot:

Latest posts