• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2010 Malibu Air Box Problem

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Trying to get this Malibu switched back to oem air box setup and get rid of this piece of **** cold air intake some fool put on it before I got it. The engine cover has the tube that attaches to the throttle body made into it, so I found an auction on ebay that had what appeared to be everything I needed to swap it back to oem. Guy even had a pic of the wrecked car the air box set came off of. I get the parts in, realize there is an inlet on the backside of the air box (firewall side), so I go back to pics of ebay auction to check, and sure enough, the car it came off of has a black hose/tube that my car does not have. Wtf is it? Same damn car, same engine, although he said it would fit my year car, but maybe the car was 1-2 years newer than mine and they added whatever that tube is later? Should I be able to just install the air box set like normal and just block off that inlet? Provided it will fit, that is. Looks like everything lines up to make it fit. Just haven't went to switch it before I figured out what that black tube was on the other car. Pics below, black tube in question circled in yellow. I've looked at other pics of cars like mine and they don't seem to have that extra tube/inlet.

fe7666d92c6d8f815f9ab98ae7102c50.jpg

6c02b6d3c085e2ea85c351e12ec2bca8.jpg

84777a3d4dd69d4db2167ace387e923a.jpg

958daa5356f527c0f46b65f280e9f6a7.jpg

3ff46ce621434b3819cb6c3ffef371bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Its probably the hose for secondary air injection. That airbox probably came off a california car or some other strict emmissions state.
Put a cap on the hole and call it good.

Here I Googled it for you and yup that tube is for the Secondary Air Injection system that was only on cars shipped to states like California and New York.

641b4c002502907f49262cc1bc1e1ed3.jpg

Re:

Ahhhh, cool. Thanks! I googled a bit myself (of course) but didn't know what to search other than oem airbox stuff, never heard of secondary air injection so never would have thought to google that. Lol.

The parts/car were located in GA, but that's where a lot of big insurance auctions are so no telling where the car actually came from.

Re:

Sumbitch needs it. Supposed to have a 160 something hp, but feels like 40.

Finally got some time to mess with swapping in the factory air box system on this malibu. Pcv hose wasn't long enough, went and bought some longer hose, got the air box mounted in, all looks great, til I finally try to mount the engine cover and cannot get it to work right over the oil fill cap hole. Its a little off center, but not that bad, but the thing is, the closest I can get it to the valve cover is like 1.5" too high. Way too high to get the oil fill cap back in. So I get to using my Google fu and it appears the cocksucking flaming bitch that put this cold air intake on, may have removed the oil fill cap neck so that when he put the fill cap back on it sat closer to the valve cover "looking cooler". So, the problem is I dont know what the neck/riser/whatever is called. Below are some pics from a youtube vid of what I am talking about. You can see it with the cap on, it sits high, and when cap is taken off, theres still some sort of a neck left there. Mine doesn't have **** sticking up when you take the fill cap off, it sits flush on the valve cover. Help? What is that neck/riser thing called? Tried searching everything and can't find it.

1c16b7ca474b78e8a3850cfc1ba07071.jpg
3753e24ad32c511d224e4a82c84ecd0b.jpg
fbab2b4c8451a31695b4a93690618cc0.jpg

Here is the way mine looks and what the engine cover is supposed to look like once installed.

2c1a4eeae82c8b4ce02c51401e9076fb.jpg
b6c876e9071515dbc08016c2508df06a.jpg

EDIT... my link didn't work but looks like y'all got the same thing so not fixing.... lol

WTF.... I just clicked on my link.... I put up the same thing he did but it now goes to something way different.....

Re:

All good, ordered that one on ebay for $10. Maybe that will finish this sumbitch up. So fawking tired of hearing that gay ass cold air intake all the time. Throttle body was dirty as **** too.

Re:

Finally got the filler tube in and all the **** buttoned up back to factory. I am amazed and how much better the power is in the car now. I used to hate driving it, bc it was soooo sluggish on low end, feels like a totally different car now. Looks like its getting 1-2 mpg less now, but that could be bc I am enjoying more take off power Lol.

And to get rid of that loud ass cold air intake and have it quiet....damn it's like driving a different car. Dude that put the cold air intake on this car before I got it needs throat punched.