• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

203 question

ez429

I have a jeep I just traded for it has a 318 motor with a 727 and a 203 transfer case. This jeep had never been run before I got it When I crank it and put in gear the front drive flange turns like crazy but the back does not turn. I do not have a front drive shaft yet. I pulled the rear drive shaft and when I turn the back flange with my hand the front turns also. I can not turn one with out the other turning. I am new to 4x4 stuff so this may sound like a stupid question but I just don't know. The question is will a 203 turn the back shaft to drive the jeep without the front shaft installed. Any info on these transfer cases would help.

Thanks in advance

203s were full time cases thats were an early version of AWD. In the back of the case there is a setup similar to an open diff., so power is applied to the output with least ammount of traction. ie. the front with no D-shaft

The chevy 203s have 4 positions, I assume this one is the same. High Lock, High, Neutral, Low, Low Lock. Either of the lock positions should make it send power to both ends at the same time.

I think this is right, someone will correct me if i'm wrong, i'm sure.

Other than the range box, I think there boat anchors. Never had a good one.