• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

20r help

Cole1

So I spent the day trying to get my motor issue fixed but was very unsucessful. I checked out the vales and they looked good and so Iput the other set of rocker arms on. So anyways I go to start it and it just cranks but wont start. I made sure the timing was good on the timing chain and tryed setting timing with the dist. but nothing.

The weird thing is when its cranking it seems like its trying to turn over twice as fast as before.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I forgot to mention for anyone who doesnt look at my build that I took the valve cover off and all the rocker arms on the pass. side were broken off. EIther the piston smacked the valves and broke the rocker arms or I didnt adjust the vavles right.

Are the valves loose or tight?

When a rocker is not on the high spot of the cam lobe can you get a little play or a click out of each one?

You will have to roll it over a little to check each pair.

If the valves are not tight, it will make no compression and spin over easy.

If the cam timing/chain are not right it will have valves open at the wrong time and not make any compression either.

How about start from the beginning. You got 9 pages on your build and don't feel like reading through it at the moment. This happened after the machine work?

Are the valves loose or tight?

When a rocker is not on the high spot of the cam lobe can you get a little play or a click out of each one?

You will have to roll it over a little to check each pair.

If the valves are not tight, it will make no compression and spin over easy.

If the cam timing/chain are not right it will have valves open at the wrong time and not make any compression either.

Well I adjsuted the vales according to the Chiltons manual so im think i got it right....The timing chain felt good, there wasnt alot of slack just a tiny bit but it felt the same when I checked it on both sides of the gear.

Skinny...I replaced the headgasket when I first got the truck and like a retard didnt adjust the valves or put the timing chain on right. Ive been trying to figure out why it hasnt been starting for a couple weeks and I decided to take the valve cover off to make sure the timing chain was on right and to adjust the valves when I discovered all the rocker arms on the passanger side are broken off right above they meet the valve spring.

also, how did you check the valves? or determine they were good?

was the head off?

I checked them out today and none of them looked bent to me which suprised me since the rocker arms were broken off. I did take the head off so I could get the valves off today they i put everything back together according to my chiltons book.

Im stumped and engines arnt really my stong point. Im trying to get this one going thou so I dont have to get another 20r.

while the head was off you should have filled the intake ports with gas and see if any was leaking past the valve seats. Then flip it over and check the exhaust valves next.

You can do a leak down test with it all together and that will tell ya more too.

Does your timing chain have the two silver links on the chain? Im trying to determine if you had the timing setup properly from the get go.

How do I do a leak test with it all together? Like I said motors arnt my stong point.

It seemed like it had no compression but I dont have a compression tester to check it but im getting one tomorrow so im gonna see how they check out.

while the head was off you should have filled the intake ports with gas and see if any was leaking past the valve seats. Then flip it over and check the exhaust valves next.

You can do a leak down test with it all together and that will tell ya more too.

This may be past his abilities......no offense Cole

Does your timing chain have the two silver links on the chain? Im trying to determine if you had the timing setup properly from the get go.

I didnt notice any silver links in the chain. Are the silver links suppose to be at the top an the bottom?

how did you set your ignition timing?

are you positive your put the timing chain on right?

when the #1 cyl is a TDC the intake and exhaust rockers should be loose. and the harmonic balancer has a notch in it, that should be at the top at 0 degrees

I didnt notice any silver links in the chain. Are the silver links suppose to be at the top an the bottom?

to do a leak down test you need a leak down tester. cole if you still cant get it running this week. pm me and i can come out and give you a hand for the price of my gas and a case of brews:awesomework:

also there should be two silver links like they say. one lines up with the indentation on the crank sprocket and one lines up with the round indentation on the cam gear

dont learn to time engines off of fairy links.:rolleyes:

know the timing marks on the sprockets and the basics of a cam and you will be set for life.

If you learn to look for fairy shiny links and you will be clueless and hope its OK forever. After you roll that engine over once the marks will never be anywhere close to use for reference again.

Put the marks where they need to be and make the chain tight on the non adj side and you will be good.

how did you set your ignition timing?

are you positive your put the timing chain on right?

when the #1 cyl is a TDC the intake and exhaust rockers should be loose. and the harmonic balancer has a notch in it, that should be at the top at 0 degrees

I turned the motor over by hand until the number 1 cyl. was at the TDC then I put the timign chain back on so the notch in the gear was at the top of the chain(if that makes sence). Sorry if I cant explain myself right now im pretty drunk:D