• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22 re help

shrtscrplr

Need advice on rebuilding or getting a replacement. Looking for a possible head upgrade. Got 1400 to spend on this. The wrist pins do make noise.

Like what? A DART or a Merlin or AFR and some NOS too?

There is NO performance available for a 22r/22re, only reliability.

Some may tell you or SELL you percieved performance, but its a joke.

So a cam and a header and flowmaster are just for the sound? Or are the power gains just so minimal that they aren't worth it?

I bought a complete head with a .261 "Crawler" cam from engnbldr.com. the same website has complete rebuild kits and the cam is for low end power, everything I read was that a header will hurt lower end and help higher end power.
By No means is my engine something to brag about but it does pretty good.

Engnbldr had Awesome customer service, call them up, tell them what You're doing with the truck and they will help you out!

Last edited:
So a cam and a header and flowmaster are just for the sound? Or are the power gains just so minimal that they aren't worth it?

Just sounds cool.

NONE of these builders offering advice and performance parts have ANY dyno time or sheets to back up the speculation they sell.

"I think it makes mo powa?" When most folks only have experience with a WORE OUT engine before rebuiling/replacing.

ANYTHING feels WAY better when it actually has NEW compression.

And remeber after you pay for big 22re performance, be sure to ADD at least 800lbs of exocages, spare tires, axes, hilifts, bumpers, etc.

I think the best hop up to a yota would be making your buddy carry the 100lbs of cooler/beers.

Killing weight is the only way to NOTICE a gain in the pep.

CL Smooth always makes mine really fast but not so reliable on parts

Your rig is all about "style" not performance anyways! :kissmyass: :haha::haha: :beer:

Disco Disco good good

Ha Nice! :awesomework::awesomework::awesomework:

X2 on an engine from Patrick/Trainwreck. If you think you want more than stock he will school you on more than you ever needed to know. He is anal on yota stuff.

And remeber after you pay for big 22re performance, be sure to ADD at least 800lbs of exocages, spare tires, axes, hilifts, bumpers, etc.

I think the best hop up to a yota would be making your buddy carry the 100lbs of cooler/beers.

Killing weight is the only way to NOTICE a gain in the pep.

My favorite thing to do.

More weight requires more power. Why not have 2600lbs and 100hp, then 5000lbs and 200hp v6.

And I'm a HP guy, downshift if you need torque. :fawkdancesmiley:

My next build will be a 4AGE 20v blacktop to a w56/dual yotas and hopefully under 2750 lbs (173hp/120ft lbs)

I'd recommend a 3rz if you want more power.

Headers will add hp or torque to any motor almost by changing the powerband range IIRC.

Like tri y (22r/16v zuk, mid range motors) vs long tube (high rpm motors)

My last 22re I built was a lil power house and would outdo any stocker..

ported bowl area, matched combustion chambers, c270 camshaft, balanced injectors and adjustable timing gear.. I wish I would have kept the motor to stick in a little car.

It's weird because on a V8 "real engine" headers usually help torque on the low end.

Headers only help if there is enough HP to GET OUT.

With a 75 HP exhaust on a 69HP engine, you would need 6HP of power adders before needing an exhaust upgrade.

And for real HP, freeflow makes HP up in RPMs and back pressure makes power down lower. Volume plays into it more than pressure tho.

Anyone (into 2strokes) remeber the LRD kinda adjustable pipes? One inch longer or shorter makes the power hit a thousand RMP higher or lower. NOT more power, just where it rolls on.

But in very high HP applications free flow is worth more than volume or pressure.

Thats not an issue unless you have over 12 to 1 CR or lots of boost.

On a built BBC boat with headers and NO exhaust, a set of baffled inserts (mufflers) can cost a guy 500rpm on top.

Searching for power in a toyota is a dead end search. I mean cmon, its pretty much a forklift motor.

My last 22re I built was a lil power house and would outdo any stocker..

ported bowl area, matched combustion chambers, c270 camshaft, balanced injectors and adjustable timing gear.. I wish I would have kept the motor to stick in a little car.

IS that why you run a MUCH larger GM engine now? No matter how much ya pump it, its just not enough.

Is your 4.3 built or STOCK? :corn:

I agree a 22R is good motor, but its got a horrible power to weight ratio!!!

No idea why some folks swap them into a Sami.

22re is 115? hp and 350? lbs dressed