• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22 re turns over but wont start

blakeski

bought a motor from a guy here on NWW.. got it in... bolted up turns over strong... has fuel and spark and compression but will not fire.. the timing is on injectors have a constant voltage?? (do they need a ground?) fuel pump is good getting fuel all the way to the f. rail but not into the cylinder... any help will be great iv searched the forums and googled the hell out of it...

thanks
blakeski

They should have constant 12V on one side and a pulsed ground one the other side.

22re's are pair fired, I believe it is 1 and 3 and 2and 4

If you are not getting the injectors to fire you won't get fuel.

You have a ground problem and that is why the injectors are not firing into cylinders. Check all grounds closely. I've had this same issue before on a truck I purchased.

where would i start to track down the wires..? and why wouldnt the injectors be grounded? its all in OG hrness so they havent been fiddled with..so a pulsed ground would it show voltage as it turns over or no?

Last edited:
The pulse for the injectors Ground is in the computer. Check the grounds in the passenger kickwell, and on the intake.

If you have a spare or a buddy with the same truck try and swap computers.

where would i start to track down the wires..? and why wouldnt the injectors be grounded? its all in OG hrness so they havent been fiddled with..so a pulsed ground would it show voltage as it turns over or no?

If you were to watch voltage as you crank,one wire it should have 12V, one the other wire it should be 0V while the injector is being fired,when the injector is off you will have 12 V on both wires.

Ok lets understand a few things first.

You had bad motor, installed new motor in same truck, same computer, same harness, RIGHT??

If you do not have the signal at the injector, then you need to find the computer RH kick panel, and meassure the signal right at the ECM.

Now the ECM will need a rpm signal to it to know to fire the injectors.

Verify that you reinstalled EVERY ground back on the motor.

The pulse for the injectors Ground is in the computer. Check the grounds in the passenger kickwell, and on the intake.

If you have a spare or a buddy with the same truck try and swap computers.

i have tried 2 different ecu's and still nothing.. from an 85 pickup and an 85 runner

If you were to watch voltage as you crank,one wire it should have 12V, one the other wire it should be 0V while the injector is being fired,when the injector is off you will have 12 V on both wires.

You had bad motor, installed new motor in same truck, same computer, same harness, RIGHT??

If you do not have the signal at the injector, then you need to find the computer RH kick panel, and meassure the signal right at the ECM.

when i bought the truck it had no otor in it.. when i bought the new motor it came with harness original ecu from that motor...the motor came from an 85 truck...and do the injector wires fallow all the way to the ecu? i tried tracing them down with no luck at the computer..as far as grounds it has the one on the valve cover and the bigger one on the block...wouldnt the truck at least sputter even if the grounds were insuffient??

thanks

Actually --the voltage at the injectors is less than 12 volts--they run a resistor before the injectors----usually mounted on the passenger fenderwell and has yellow connectors...

Actually --the voltage at the injectors is less than 12 volts--they run a resistor before the injectors----usually mounted on the passenger fenderwell and has yellow connectors...

Well true, I forgot about that part. If I remeber right they only used that upto '88. I know all the early 90's that I have worked on never had it.

What year EFI? I have a few of the manuals and a Toyoto factory electrical diagram/diagnostic book.

its an 85 ext cab and i was told the motor was pulled from an 85 truck that was put in the ditch.. the guy i boight it from said he herd it run b4 it was pulled.. i bolted it all up and no fire

Brown wires with black strip for all years if memory serves...

thanks ill test for ground on it...:beer:

Either vroooooooooooommmmmmmmm

Injectors bla. bla. you need to know if the motor will even run... 'Right" sooooo give her a little either and hit the key... if it runs!!!!!! Theres a fuel problem if not then its ignition, also the timing, not like an old chevy, you know the snorts and pops you dont really get that, ive had toyotas do absolutly nothing if the dist. is out. Oh one more thing you can check for fuel at the motor by cracking the cold start injector line and cranking it over

Injectors bla. bla. you need to know if the motor will even run... 'Right" sooooo give her a little either and hit the key... if it runs!!!!!! Theres a fuel problem if not then its ignition, also the timing, not like an old chevy, you know the snorts and pops you dont really get that, ive had toyotas do absolutly nothing if the dist. is out. Oh one more thing you can check for fuel at the motor by cracking the cold start injector line and cranking it over

we did put starting fluid in it and it did sputter. timing is correct. we also did pull the cold start injector and it gets fuel but doesn't spray, it only drooled out for a second. shouldn't it spray for a quick second not dribble out?

Is the tps and afm correctly adjusted? Get your fuel psi checked. It should spray out, not dribble. When I put my motor in, I thoroughly went through the harness, and made sure each and every wire had proper resistance according to the FSM. And then hooked everything up and checked the voltage and resistance at all the plug end that goes to the computer. The FSM will help you tremendously! It is the bible!

http://www.lukemiller.org/toys/
Here is a link!

Is the tps and afm correctly adjusted? Get your fuel psi checked. It should spray out, not dribble. When I put my motor in, I thoroughly went through the harness, and made sure each and every wire had proper resistance according to the FSM. And then hooked everything up and checked the voltage and resistance at all the plug end that goes to the computer. The FSM will help you tremendously! It is the bible!

whats the PSI that the fuel pump is susposed to kick out.. maybe the pump is wore out and not pushing enough fuel...?? i herd that there may be a ground strap on the fuel rail?? thanks for the help

whats the PSI that the fuel pump is susposed to kick out.. maybe the pump is wore out and not pushing enough fuel...?? i herd that there may be a ground strap on the fuel rail?? thanks for the help

should be like(from memory here) 38-42 psi....