• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

220V Wiring + Hookup - what do I need?

Boxxerace

I guess this technically be in the "garage" area...

So, if I want 220V 60amps I need what?

So I am looking to run approximately 100 feet of wire from the main breaker, down and underneath / through the floor joists in my house and outside either to my shed / garage (future location) or to the side of my house in some kind of large junction box. Should I consider running a sub-breaker box and wiring 110 at the same time in the thinking I might one day actually build a garage?

Either way, based of the approximate length, what gauge of wiring should I consider? Is there a nice little pre-packaged wire that has some kind of sheathing that will work for this? I know at the main breaker I will have a double breaker switch which I presume gives you your three leads to connect your wiring to.

On the other end, if running out to the "shop", I would have to run underground which may require additional conduit at (18" or 36", I don't remember).

Long story short, does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of electrical code and where / what to buy in terms of the wiring?

I would recomend doing a sub panel.

Run down to your local (serious) hardware store, they should have someone on hand who can tell you the right gauge and jacket type for an underground run, along with the right conduit, etc. All that stuff is in charts they should keep handy. Coast to Coast in Monroe, for example, had all the info I needed for a 220 install.

Great, thanks for the heads up CJ. Monroe is just across the valley from me.
Careful with those prices though, they hurt if you drop 'em on your foot... If'n you know what I mean.

The big box stores should be able to help with this as well, at a lower price, if you don't mind giving the devil another little piece of your soul.

subpanel.

the most expensive part is going to the wire. you should just install outdoor 100 amp subpanel if its going to be outside of your house.

since most 100 amp subpanel don't have a main breaker in them, make sure that you instal a main breaker for your sub panel in your main panel.

the size for a 60 amp would be #6 and the size for the 100amp would be #3
its not that much bigger to pull the wire for the 100amp. they do make 4 conducter cables. but i don't think they make a 4 conductor #3 cable so you would have to go to number #2. i could be wrong . it really depends on how much money you want to spend on material. the price of copper has trippled in the last couple of years,and if it was me i wouldn't use aluminum wire just don't like the stuff,even though it is cheaper.

check lowes or homepot for prices, or even a couple of electrical supply houses also should have the wire you need.

if this is going to be mounted out side just watch out for your local electrical inspector because without permits they can get fussy and they like to get there money also.

if you really want to see the size of wire you need just go supply house and look at the different size wires need for a 60 amp compared to a 100amp.

Call me and I'll go over this with you. I do site and utilty work. 360-682-5081. If you want. Lowes or home depot don't know crap!!!

if you don't want to call matchbox then give me a call 206-778-2439.
i work in seattle and live in lynnwood right now and could stop by and go over what you need , and the best way to do it.
will be happy to help out that way.i am also a electricion,its just hard to explan what you might need not knowing what you know.

judd

I agree regarding Lowes and Home depot. I was refered to Stoneway Electric, convinently nearby my work.

Thanks Judd and Matchbox! I'll give you a ring. Say, Electricians are on strike now, are you guys local union?

yes i am union ibew local 46 and no we are not on strike .
our last contract vote was thursday and it was approved.

If you ever plan on doing some real work with real tools, go with the 100amp subpanel now. Much cheaper to do things once.

the size for a 60 amp would be #6 and the size for the 100amp would be #3
its not that much bigger to pull the wire for the 100amp. they do make 4 conducter cables. but i don't think they make a 4 conductor #3 cable so you would have to go to number #2. i could be wrong .

a guy in my class told me that they ran 500 or 750 mcm metalic cable three phase, something like 100lbs a foot is what i recall him telling me.