• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22r propane help

92illpony

Bought a used gotpropane kit. Was told it pulled off a running rig. Put it on my truck and can't get it to hit the first lick. I called Cary and tried what he said but no luck.
I pulled vaporizer apart and all looks well inside and it seems to be doing its part. If I pull the mixer fuel hose off and stick it into the intake and hit the primer button it shuts vapor into intake and truck will run for a split second. Pretty sure it's a mixer problem but didn't visibly notice a problem. Any ideas?

Check and make sure the air valve assembly is sitting down in the housing completely when not running. When you spin the engine over you should be able to watch the air valve pulse up and down. If it does not move there is a lack of vacuum building up under the air valve. That could be the air valve itself or the throttle body or manifold leaking. Also take the air valve assembly out of the mixer, turn it upside down and see if the metering cone is in the center of the valve. I have seen a few of the cones that came loose and fell into the housing.

If everything looks good give me a call and I will help you work through it.

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827, office
205-837-8871, mobile
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

85toyo said:
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=34047.0

This might help. Can't remember what his exact problem was but I think it was similar.

Good reference. I had same problem, ended up being the diaphragm in the carb. The carb has to pull vacuum to the vaporizer to open it enough to allow fuel to pass into the carb and intake. The vaporizer also has a diaphragm system.

I could take the main fuel hose that runs from vaporizer to the carb loose from the vaporizer, turn engine over, and it was not pulling any vacuum at all so it was not able to pull fuel through the vaporizer. Now I could hold the button down on the vaporizer and it would crank fine, but wouldn't idle on it's own and had terrible throttle response at low rpm's. Changed the diaphragm in the carb and it runs like a champ now. There was nothing visibly wrong with the old diaphragm, it was apparently just stretched out and flimsy from years of use and wasn't sealing off like it's supposed to in order to create the needed vacuum to pull fuel into the carb.

It's probably something little. Do every process of elimination that you can and you'll eventually narrow it down to one peice of equipment, then you can rebuild it or change the settings and see what happens.

I read your thread. Mine will not fire hitting the primer button. It only fires if I shoot fuel into the air inlet.

Re:

The only way fuel gets to the carb/intake is via vacuum, so it seems it would have to be vacuum related. The vaporizer has a diaphragm and other parts that could be factors, but unless something is restricting fuel flow, pushing the button opens the diaphragm and allows fuel to pass through it and onto the carb.

Propane systems are quite simple when it comes to it not running at all. There can only be a couple things wrong.

If the throttlebody, intake, and hoses do not have leakes, it sounds like the diaphragm in the mixer. Mixers are pretty simple. Make sure the lean/rich valve is set about in the middle while troubleshooting, then you can fine tune it later when it's running. Long as all the standard stuff is gone over, it should leave the mixer diaphragm being the culprit if it is still not firing. Can't really think of anything else it could be. I took my whole system apart and tried everything, finally decided to try a new diaphragm and it fixed it it. Drove myself crazy trying to figure out the problem.

I'm pretty sure it's the mixer. I'm going to stop at the local forklift joint to see if they have the diaphragm. I'm not sure what model mixer I have. I didn't see any numbers on it.

Just got off phone with Cary. He wants 55 for the parts or 80 to ship the mixer and him do it and shim it. I didn't see anything that appeared to need shims but I could be wrong.

Shim it? Wtf? The only thing that will come out of my mixer is the diaphragm and it's the Got Propane kit. Post a picture of your mixer so we know what we are working with.

Worst case scenario, you buy a new diaphragm and it doesn't fix it, but it does eliminate that as a problem, and you know you have a diaphragm in it that will be good for years to come.

6654d5699e071d425591a664d95caa17.jpg

Re:

The diaphragm is very sensitive but also very simple to replace that's more then likely your problem