• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22r Timing and propane.

white-rhyno

What are you guys doing for timing? I know this is voodoo and black majic and no one wants to share any secrets but spill the beans.

I have been reading S-A Design book "Economy or Performance Propane fuel conversions for Automotive Engines"

Quoted from the book

"How much total advance you can safely use depends on the loads imposed on the engine! Maximum total advance should not exceed 28-30 degrees.
A good ignition curve plot that works well with propane would have 10degrees initial advance on the crank. Distributor centrifugal advance should be about 9. Remeber that one degree in the distribuor equals two degree on the crank, with full advance achieved by 2250-2500.

My question is, where are you guys getting softer springs for the distributor? I cant get my timing to come all in until 3500. Thats with one spring removed.

In case your curious, im using this machine,
sun_620.jpg

Vortec v-6 propane 36 degrees. I am sure that is of no use to you. But I'm good at that. cool stuff you got there.

I may just end up using this. This way i can plot my own curve. I just wish i could hook up a map sensor to act like the vacume advance. It only has boost controls..... Still tempting.

6530_full(2).jpg

No other input?

I know that machine works real well. But that's about it. Did Brent have any ideas for you?

Were they specifically talking about the 22r motor in that description, or was that "most" engines? You might want to try out what you have. Those squirrels like to run pretty fast anyway don't they?

Not much help, but good luck Brad. :cheer:

You can get away with quite a bit of timing advance while running propane. You are more than likely going to run out of adjustment in the stock distributor. Keep the full advance at the RPM where you have it. Go for a test drive. If you still feel like you could use a little more put in a lighter spring. If it were me I would get rid of those crappy points and install a pertronix kit like this.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/1641/10002/-1

Damn, I thought those machines were nearly extinct, and we had about the last one in existence!!! :haha: I have no idea as to where to get the springs from, may have to try a performance shop of some sort and try springs from a different application.... but alot of what you quoted from that book sure sounds alot like v-8 stuff; my .02:D Good luck!!!:awesomework:

Latest posts