• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE Cold Start question....

Boosted

Quick question with hopefully a quick fix.... :;

My last trip home, I decided to take my junk out for a muddy trip to Walker Valley and before I left the house, I decided to fire it up just to make sure I wasnt wasting my time....lol.

Well, long story short, it fired right up but was running a bit rough (sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders) so I shut it off thinking no biggie, its just cold. We got up to Walker Valley and took the straps off getting ready to unload if from the trailer. I jumped in and turned the key....crank crank crank but no start. Did this about 10 times before if fired off, but once again it was running really rough and only for about 3 seconds before it died. Crank crank crank, no start. Did this for a few more times and then went thru the normal checks. Got spark, got fuel (I could smell it but no idea on fuel pressure). Crank crank crank, still no start. Really seemed like a AFM problem so we strapped the rig back up and went home.

Grabbed a known good AFM, installed it on the truck and it fired right up. Ran a bit rough but I was able to clear it out and it was running fine so off we go, back to Walker Valley. When we get there, I unstrapped the rig once again, jumped in and crank crank crank....no start once again. WTF? This time, I took the top off the air filter box, reached in and opened up the air flow flapper (or whatever its called) on the AFM and had my friend crank it over. Boom, fired right up and ran like chit but I was able to keep it running. Manually revved it up with the throttle body to warm it up but every time I let go of the flapper on the AFM it would die. I decided to hold it open and start it back up. This time stood there for about 5 minutes keeping it running until it was warmed up.

Once it was warmed up, I was able to let it run on its own, reinstall the top of the air filter box and it seemed to run fine. We decided to take a chance and wheel it.

Ran fine all afternoon. Even shut it down numerous times and it started right back up so my question is....is there a cold start solenoid or something that would cause it to behave this way? What could have caused the cold start issue? Why was I able to start it by holding the flapper open with my finger? BTW, I even tried taking the inlet hose off the front of the throttle body, bypassing the AFM and it would not start that way either.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated as I am hoping to wheel on the weekend after Thanksgiving and would like to fix this before I do.

Thanks, Bill

Last edited:
I would check the wires and connectors going to the AFM to make sure nothing is loose. While you're at it I'd pull the cold start injector and check to make sure it's not all gunked w/ crud.

hey bill thanks for not inviting me (punk) lol anyways its possible that it is your tps cause your tps runs with cold start might not be getting the proper ohms.

oh call me 425 232 9049 frankie

Thanks Arnold, I will check that.

Frankie, I did try calling you but as usual, you didnt answer. Did you get your junk fixed yet? Go help Simon finish his so we can all go after thanksgiving.

Anyone? Crash? Sure would like to have multiple things to look at incase its not whats already been mentioned....

I arrive on Wed the 25th and would really like to be able to wheel either Sat or Sun as I leave first thing Mon morning....

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Does this sound like possibly the cold start timer sensor? Anyone? Im getting desperate as I really want to have this fixed before this weekend...

Thanks,
Bill