• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re extremely hard to start when cold out

lethe

I'm trying to help a friend out with his 85' pickup with a 22re. It is extremely difficult to start when it's cold out. I'm talking like 30-40 minutes to get it to start. I've checked spark from the coil and from the distributer and both look strong. When i pull the plugs they are wet with fuel so i know it's getting fuel and spark. For the most part while cranking it over it doesn't even sputter until it finally gets close to starting. After i get it started and run it for a few minutes it will start up again mostly trouble free after that. It does occasionally seem to hesitate slightly sometimes while driving but other than that it runs strong. Previous owner rebuilt the engine and said it has a RV cam. There are no trouble codes. Does any one have any ideas why it's such a bitch to start in cold weather? It seems like 40* and under is when it's like this. I went out yesterday afternoon when it was probably in the mid 40s and it fired right up. Went out this morning when it was around freezing and again it took forever to finally get it started.

In cold weather mine can be a pain in the ass to get started, it has an RV cam in it on a rebuild 5k ago. It takes a good 20 seconds of cranking before it starts up in cold weather. But not 30-40 minutes :eeek:. Have you tried new plugs? If fuel is getting to the motor, it sounds to me like a spark issue.

I haven't tried new plugs but the current plugs look good and i see a strong spark from them.

have you done a compression check to see where it is sitting at??

just to make sure that there is not an issue with that...

No compression test. Like i said it runs great and even if i let it run for a minute or less after finally getting it to start it will re start like normal afterwards.

Coolant temp sensor or bad cold start injector

The coolant temp sensor tested good but i swapped it with another one anyway with the same results. The cold start injector was replaced when the engine was rebuilt. It also doesn't seem to make a difference if i have it plugged in or not.

The coolant temp sensor tested good but i swapped it with another one anyway with the same results. The cold start injector was replaced when the engine was rebuilt. It also doesn't seem to make a difference if i have it plugged in or not.

It wouldn't make a difference if it wasnt functioning. ......

I've tested the injector and it functions fine. How much fuel should the cold start injector be dumping into the intake?

I'm trying to help a friend out with his 85' pickup with a 22re. It is extremely difficult to start when it's cold out. I'm talking like 30-40 minutes to get it to start. I've checked spark from the coil and from the distributer and both look strong. When i pull the plugs they are wet with fuel so i know it's getting fuel and spark. For the most part while cranking it over it doesn't even sputter until it finally gets close to starting. After i get it started and run it for a few minutes it will start up again mostly trouble free after that. It does occasionally seem to hesitate slightly sometimes while driving but other than that it runs strong. Previous owner rebuilt the engine and said it has a RV cam. There are no trouble codes. Does any one have any ideas why it's such a bitch to start in cold weather? It seems like 40* and under is when it's like this. I went out yesterday afternoon when it was probably in the mid 40s and it fired right up. Went out this morning when it was around freezing and again it took forever to finally get it started.
Cold Start timer switch for the cold start injector??? Have you tested that? I ironically have an 87 in my shop at the moment that has very similar symptoms (although not 30-40 minutes of trying...it starts, but runs pig-rich for some time (up to a minute) until, like someone switches a light switch, it smooths out and runs normally...I suspect the cold start timing switch holding the injector on too long...

Are the plus sooted/black?

The plugs look normal. No excessive build up etc.

Cold Start timer switch for the cold start injector??? Have you tested that? I ironically have an 87 in my shop at the moment that has very similar symptoms (although not 30-40 minutes of trying...it starts, but runs pig-rich for some time (up to a minute) until, like someone switches a light switch, it smooths out and runs normally...I suspect the cold start timing switch holding the injector on too long...

I have tested the switch and it was within spec. I replaced it with another one i had that tested good with the same results.

So far when it's been cold it does this 95% of the time. But i went out yesterday and had it started in a minute or so. First i disconnected the cold start injector and cranked it for 4-5 seconds, which it didn't fire or even sputter. I then re connected the cold start injector and it fired up almost immediately. I've played with the CSI being plugged/unplugged before and it didn't make a difference. I'm going to try it again in a little bit and see what happens.

Hi all,

Not an expert by any standard, but two things come to mind:

* cold weather is hard on lead-acid car batteries;

* how long since the rig had a full tune-up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc.)?

Good luck!

Alan

Hi all,

Not an expert by any standard, but two things come to mind:

* cold weather is hard on lead-acid car batteries;

* how long since the rig had a full tune-up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc.)?

Good luck!

Alan

That battery is about two weeks old. It cranks and turns over at a normal speed.

As for a tuneup i'm not sure of a time frame. I've inspected all of the things you listed and they looked good.

Latest posts