• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re How in the crap do y'all run those??

The Luke

I keep seeing all of these yota rigs pop up for sale that are totally TC'd out and then have a 22re. How in the hell do y'all run those things? Granted, my yota experience is limited. But I had an 87 pu with the 22re that grenaded around 120k. So I swapped in a freshly rebuilt motor, that I heard run before I put it in, and was still a turd.

I know tbitoy went through what seemed like a dozen in the gremlin. It seems like they're always breaking plastic timing chain guides or adding piston ventilation to the block.

Is it just the cheap/plentiful reasoning?

I've been out of the yota game for a little while but the 2.7 swap is the way to go. :****: Last time I needed a 22r I had trouble finding one used under 1k.

My first rockcrawler was a 85 4runner with a 22re and never had a problem out of it. With 5.29s and 4.7 in the Tcase, it drove great on the road and trial.

I almost traded a tj for DRM's black 4Runner back in the day. His rig was WAY over my head. Airshocks, 39" pit bulls, the whole nine yards. It was probably the only 22re rig I ever drove that was worth a crap. And I'm pretty sure I 3 wheeled it in the lebanon outlet mall parking lot.

You spend $2-3000 building a "performance" 22R

That makes 175 HP :rolf:
2RZ/3RZ swap is the way to go if you're staying Toyota.

IF I were to ever own/build another 4cyl rig it would have a 07+ 2.9L Chevy Colorado 4cyl. I think it would be much easier to "deal with", ECM is tunable just like an LS, and it uses regular GM transmissions.

I've had a bunch of 22re's. All were beat down 200K miles and lived on the rev limiter.
10 years ago finding decent used engines wasn't too hard. Not so much now.
A stock rebuilt one will hang in there pretty good, but it's an old 30+ year old design 4cyl...

Re:

For what they are they tuff engines. Timing chain issue is best to go with metal guides. I have a stock 22re in my rig and i can spin my 38's with duals and 5.29s.
Would not spend a lot of money on it. I would swap out to 2 or 3rz engine. If not a v8

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I abuse mine regularly, got leaks and such everywhere, rebuilt it a few years ago for less than $200, only took a few hours tear down and then again to reassemble

I want a 2/3rz in mine next but just have too many irons in the fire right now

I've had 3, one in a 89 2wd truck that blew a head gasket at over 200k, one that was in my blue truck, mileage unknown, and one that was in my buggy when I got it, rebuilt. All were good engines, all were put through hell and all were slow as crap.

The thing about them you have to realize is they are 30 years old now. Gaskets are degrading, maintenance during that time, usage, are all factors in how well one runs and lasts. No way would I put a used one in anything because of all the unknowns. And no way would I spend the money to rebuild one when 2.7s are plentiful and more powerful. I have 2 of them at the shop now for future projects. Plus you can plug up an obd2 scan tool and get codes and live data to aid in diagnosing one. The 2.7 to Toyota guys is like an LS to GM guys, and the 22r being like a sbc. Nothing wrong with either one, but everybody likes more power.

22r with turbo. Im pulling around front and rear 14 botls and 43s no problem at all. I can even spin them once or twice if I want to ;D

Run a aw4 out of a cherokee. The factory toyota auto bell housing bolts to the aw4 then use factory auto toyota flexplate and convertor with radesigns winters shifter to control the trans. Bolt in swap honestly and best thing ive done to the turd. Dana 300 bolts up behind it or in my case a atlas 4 spd. Night and day difference.

I have a 22ret in my buggy an it does great for what it is. My next rig will Have an ls, you just can not replace woo pow

I beat on my old 22r on pane, like a rented mule at times. It done everything I ask of it. With that said, I'm in the process of doing a 2rz with a automatic swap. Like said above by someone, the 22r to us Toyota guys is the small block to Chevy guys and the rz motors are our LS.

The Luke said:
I keep seeing all of these yota rigs pop up for sale that are totally TC'd out and then have a 22re. How in the hell do y'all run those things? Granted, my yota experience is limited. But I had an 87 pu with the 22re that grenaded around 120k. So I swapped in a freshly rebuilt motor, that I heard run before I put it in, and was still a turd.

I know tbitoy went through what seemed like a dozen in the gremlin. It seems like they're always breaking plastic timing chain guides or adding piston ventilation to the block.

Is it just the cheap/plentiful reasoning?

Tells us where your wheeling next and we will show you how with them 22re's :flipper: