• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re, no power, running rough, glowing manifold.

uhohhotdog151

i have a 86 4runner, 22re, 5spd, 5.29's 38x14.50tsl sx, and dual cases. recently its been running kinda rough. occasionaly it will spudder and try to cut out on me. when im playin in the snow i cant hold second in single low on any kinda of hill. it loses all power. when i have it at high r's for a few minutes the manifold starts to glow orange. its only getting about 7-8 mpg. the other day when i shut it off, it wanted to keep running. i thought i got some bad gass, so i topped it off from a 1/4 tank, and dumped in a can of seafoam in the tank and that helped a little bit. on the highway it was a little better but still not 100%.and its still getting crappy mileage, and gutless in the hills. i checked the timing and put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. anybody have any ideas on what it would be?

doesnt have a cat

i dont know if its a timing issue, thats what i thought. but its intermitent. and it just started doing it. im thinkin maybe the o2 sensor is bad. orr.....another sensor?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7730009&posted=1#post7730009

i have pretty much the same intermittent problem... the hard part is actually finding out what is the problem. i still havent gotten it. the guy in that thread replaced his cpu, but others say they had the same results from a poorly sealed tps getting moisture into it and running shitty. in the summer when it's warm and dry it runs great except for really soggy, dewy mornings. no codes, nothing. good luck, man.

Sounds like its running really rich.

I had really bad everything on a V8 Chev a few years ago. The calalytic converter had gotten filled up with unburnt fuel because the Carb was dumping fuel into the engine. It wouldn't run right at all. I had to replace the converter and the carb.

Yes, I know. the engine in question is injected, but it can still run rich, correct?

I had really bad everything on a V8 Chev a few years ago. The calalytic converter had gotten filled up with unburnt fuel because the Carb was dumping fuel into the engine. It wouldn't run right at all. I had to replace the converter and the carb.

Yes, I know. the engine in question is injected, but it can still run rich, correct?

Yes if the MAF sensor is out of wack from being dirty or has failed it can make the engine run rich. I had similar problems with a 3.0 where the MAF was out of wack and i got 10 mpg everywhere. It threw a code but it didnt trigger the check engine light. After finding what code was being throw we figured out it was the maf and re-tuned it. After that it ran much better.

I would also check the injectors for flow. If they are dirty or not recieving fuel at the right pressure then that cylinder will run lean like Brad said and it will run hott. For sure a lean deal if its glowing red:eeek: not good. Then you loose a valve or something else worse. Bad deal. Try the injectors,o2, check plugs,timing, then map. ??? Maybe..

seems like a lean condition to me?:eeek:

Hmmm. Quite a difference of opinion right thar!

I'd check timing. Then recheck it again.
Check exhaust and make sure you've got no restrictions.
Remove air filter and make sure it's breathing easily.
Then start checking all the related items to fuel delivery, such as fuel filter, fuel pressure, injectors, throttle positon sensors, etc etc all the way to the ECM

Your problem is either too rich and unburnt fuel is getting into the exhaust, or too lean and cylinder temp is too high.

I'd find a guy with a SnapOn red brick scanner. It'll monitor all kinds of engine paramaters and let you really know what's going on in that motor and will greatly aid diagnosis.

Possible plugged exhaust due to melted catalyst? I've had that happen, and yes the manifold glows red. And the engine won't really rev up either.

Based on everything I read, I would suspect the timing to be retarted or an excessively lean condition. Whether that is a mechanical problem or an electrical problem is up in the air. I would suspect the later though due to you indicating it was an intermittent problem. I would start by verifying mechanical specifications on the engine because those are generally easier to deal with. Verify fuel pressure and ignition/cam timing. In the electrical department I would check out the O2 sensor, TP sensor, and possibly swap in another igniter for fun. Another issue that seems to be becoming ever more popular, though still relatively rare, is the engine wiring harness getting a defect in the injector wiring at one of the splice points where it branches off to one the two injector pairs (group fire system). This seems to be happening due to water induced corrosion and age. This problem usually manifests itself as a stutter/misfire. But, I could imagine it causing an intermittent lean condition. Anyhow, stick to the basics because that's most likely your problem. It's rarely a glorious diagnostic procedure followed by an obscure repair. If you think it is, then it's time to get some fresh eyes on the problem to start from scratch.

A little side thing I noted. How is a multi-port fuel injected engine able to continue running (dieseling) when the ignition is moved to the off position? Dieseling is certainly indicative of an engine running lean, but this is only a problem that usually plagues carbureted engines. As soon as the ignition is moved to the off position, there is no longer power to the injectors and subsequently no more fuel. Dieseling in a multi-port fuel injected engine would almost certainly indicate leaking injectors bleeding off the residual pressure.

In my experience, glowing manifolds are from an overly rich mixture. Not lean as you would expect.

I would suspect anything that adjusts the mixture, and or ignition system not igniting the fuel mixture in essence causing to run rich as well.

~T.J.

sounds lean to me, there isnt enough fuel being injected to properly cool the cylnder before ignition, so it runs hot out the exhaust.

i think im makin some progress.i found out my knock sensor was gone. i dont know if it somehow rattled out? or if i for some reason forgot to put it in when i put the motor in. but i put one in. and no more check engine light. but its still running rich. im getting quite a bit of black smoke. im goin to re check the timing tommorow. and maybe remove the egr system.