• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re No Run, Coolant In Oil.

PaulSac

Here is the low down:

My 22re was slowly losing more power every time I drove. This went on for a few weeks. I only drive it 1 mile at a time so the engine is never really warm. The last time I drove it the power finally went and it just wouldn't move. You can crank the truck and it will fire right away and then instantly die.

There is coolant in the oil and also foam in the oil cap.

I did a cold compression check and all 4 cylinders go up to 175-178 on about the 4th crank. All shoot up good on the first crank.

This actually happened a few months ago and I pulled the head and the gasket looked OK but I brought the old gasket down to Jays machine shop and he said it looked like there was a spot around the 3rd cylinder. They shaved the head for me for free since they rebuilt the engine only 5k ago.

I cleaned up the block, flushed the coolant loop, and blew out all the bolt holes. (did not tap the bolt holes and I reused the bolts) and put on a new gasket (OEM). Truck ran great but I noticed the foam within a few weeks and then the power loss started again.

I would think if the block or head was cracked I would see bad compression so that is why I am confused.

Normally the engine always starts no problem and runs great except for this issue.

I had a small void in a head that drove me crazy until the machinist caught it. Leaked water when the engine warmed up. Did they pressure check the head when you took it back in. I would think so but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I don't think they did since they were just going to shave it for free. I will definetly have it done when I pull it this time.

Still don't know why the truck won't run though

Sounds like the fuel pump was going out and finally gave up the ghost, It could be unrelated to the coolant in the oil. Sounds like a crack in the head/block, gasket not mating up well, or timing chain wearing through the cover. Did they put in a new timing chain cover during the rebuild?

Sorry to hear about the BS, good luck. I'm no expert just my $.02

I will look into there being another problem but it's wierd it was doing the same thing last time and the head gasket fixed it. Of course it never got to the point of not running last time..

And yes there is a new timing cover.

Is there a check engine light? Does the light work?

You need to do a check for combustion gasses in the coolant.

If you dont drive enough to burn the oil out, you could still see moisture with a good head gasket.

Good point chop. Maybe the gasket is fine and it is moisture in my coolant. No engine light and it should work. I can't check for gasses if it doesn't run but that may be another issue then. I'll check fuel next.