• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE no start

travisyota83

so i have a 22re setup in my 83, my buddy did a stand alone for it a few months back and ive been wheelin it since then. since the swap it has been hard starting and ive yet to figure it out. i tried ECU's,MAF's, cold start injector,cold starting temp switch and some other small randoms things with no luck. so two days ago i tried the pick-up coil in the distributor and now it wont fire at all, with the new or old one in the dizzy. i replaced the rotor, i have it timed good enough to start, it has spark and it has fuel but magically it wont start:mad:

so any ideas?:corn:

im unsure of the pressure i dont have a fuel pressure gauge for an efi setup. ive cracked the cold start a few times and i get fuel coming out of that pretty good with the pump running.

Im assuming when you say spark, you just pulled a wire and grounded it to see spark? Are your injectors firing? Have access to a noid light or even a stethoscope?

as far as spark, yes i did pull a wire and ground it, and also used an inline tester deal. its like a test light but plugs in between the plug and wire and that also lite up while cranking. i do not have a noid light or a stethoscope but im sure i could get a scope easy. im assuming the injectors are going do to the smell of gas coming from the exhaust after cranking on it, but i could be wrong:redneck:.

hard starting 22re

check the efi fuse this could be the problem.the fuse will kick for varios reasons.mine would kick do to a wet oxygen sensor. i smashed mine so every time it got wet? fuse blown. just a problem mine had good luck?:

Is there a check engine light wired in? If so, does it come on...could it possibly be a bad circuit openeing relay, or no signal to it???? What yr 22RE setup?

i swapped the CO relay already. i have a wire for a check engine light but its not hooked up to anything. im not sure it would be useful due to the removal of some random crap when we put it together. i was told the EFI stuff is out of a 86 4 runner. that is the year we used on all data for the wiring diagrams and everything seemed to work, except for the hard starting....

make sure there are no gaps in the intake tubes/ hoses. had this happen a few times. one had a slit on the under side and when the engine revd, the motor would tip alittle and kill it.
another thing is make sure the cold start injector is hooked up, and the thermo temp switch wich is right under the t stat.
those are a few things i think of, and i have done a few stand alones myself w/no issues. hope it helps