• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE problem

Mark m.

Its been getting hard to start lately and now won't start at all I know its a fuel issue. un-did the fuel line and when its turning over fuel is pooring out but it doesn't seem to be getting to the injectors. when you open the bolt at the cold start injector no gas at all.
Any idea's?

What kinda shape is the fuel filter in? Start working backwards untill you find fuel!!!

Fuel Pressure Regulator its on the back of the fuel rail sticking out from under the upper intake. There is a vacuum line coming off of it that should be hooked to direct vacuum.

Just because there is fuel at the filter doesn't mean much. RE's won't run under 20 psi or so and they would rather have around 35 psi.

So when I open the main fuel line and hit the key fuel comes out like turning on a hose. Seems like it should be spraying out harder. Can a fuel pump become weak or are they a work or don't work thing?

Yea they can get weak. Block off the return line from the regulator and see if that makes it start.

One thing I think was missed is the grounds for the injectors. They are brown with a black stripe, there should be a single lug with all 4 grounds that bolts down near the center of the upper intake.

If you're able to check the fuel pressure that might narrow it down to a pump or regulator problem. I can't remember if the rail has a check valve or not. It would look like a standard schrader valve.

Check the wires and all the connections in the wire harness going to the injectors. I have had a factory connection in a unmolested harness fail. :beer:

22res need fuel pressure.

Remember when my pump died in the busy? It took me between 50-55 psi to keep it running great with my compressed air/pressurized fuel system hobo.

It wont even start with anything under 40-45 psi on the regulator and it will not even rev up till ya have at least 50.

I made a fuel pressure gauge out of an old cold start injector line. I cut off one banjo and added a fitting and a gauge.

The rig will start with no 5th injector and then ya can read the pressure.

No schrader on the fuel rail. Easiest way to test it would be at the cold start injector. Sounds like your fuel pressure regulator is bad. That being said. They regulator has to be clicked at a certain position for it to properly regulate vacuum/fuel

No schrader on the fuel rail. Easiest way to test it would be at the cold start injector. Sounds like your fuel pressure regulator is bad. That being said. They regulator has to be clicked at a certain position for it to properly regulate vacuum/fuel
All the grounds are good, everything is plugged in as it should be and the EFI fuse is good. I guess its time to check the regulator.

The only other thing I can say about it is its been getting hard to start and it seems like no fuel but then keep trying and it would start. This has been happining more and more and now nothing.
This is a 12 year old conversion into a 81 truck. Maybe its time to redo the whole setup.

Regulator Brad has a good point and just went through all this on his rig, start there or fuel pump but ya need to check the pressure they are super sensitive motors to fuel pressure

The only other thing I can say about it is its been getting hard to start and it seems like no fuel but then keep trying and it would start. This has been happining more and more and now nothing.
This is a 12 year old conversion into a 81 truck. Maybe its time to redo the whole setup.

This was happening to me when my fuel pump went out. it would take a while and then magically start but then one day nothing ...changed out the fule pump and away i went.