• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE Rebuild Questions

If you're around 2 thou on both rods and mains, you're pretty close.
1.5-2 on the mains, too tight and they'll gall and fail really early, too loose they'll knock or lose too much oil, and fail early.... 2 thou on the rods is what I aim for.
You do have to make sure everything is round, too. crank pins,main journals, rod ends, etc, all need to be good and round.

Actual spec is .001 to .0022 on both rods and mains,
.0039 max rods, .0031 max on mains.
con rod thrust .006-.0102
crank thrust .0008 - .008

double check everything at least once. the first one i did i put it together got it in the truck fired it up let it run.ending up having spark knock because my valves were adjusted wrong. i made a stupid mastake. just make sure to double check you stuff.

also DO NOT put any of the stock smog **** back on the engine seal it all off all that stuff does is rob horse power.

Im not touching the valve springs, valves or anything thing like that, just boring it and new bearings.

Thanks though!

doesnt matter. If you have had the engine apart to the point that the head is off the block, then you need to adjust the valves.

You dont have to adjust them. Just like you dont have to put oil in it, you could always fill it with sand. Just wont work very well that way.

Adjust them ****ers. Its easy as hell. I dont even use a feeler gauge anymore. 12mm and a screwdriver.

Got the head bolted on with all the timing stuff, bolting on the intake and like 3 bolts turn like butter, the clown before me stripped them out.

Suggestions? helicoil? drill it next size and retap?

It's aluminum, just retap it. When I put an engine together I take time to thread chase all holes and chase bolts if need be. Usually though parts washer take care of the bolts being cleaned. Good luck.

Last edited:
throw a helicoil in the bad holes! piece of cake man...I had a couple in several different motors. works just as good if not better than stock if done right. even had a motor with one in the sparkplug hole, still works good!:awesomework:

Did you bang the crank back and forward with the center main cap loose still to make sure the cap is straight and it dosent wear out the thrust bearings?