• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE Rebuild Questions

London Gentleman

Got my RE back from C&D machine and got all my rebuild parts. Now its time to put it all together, anybody got any tips on throwing it together?

Make damn sure the bottom end and top end have the same cylinders on TDS. I have bent some vavles thinking I had it right......:mad:

Dont forget to put that bolt in the front of the head that goes to the timing cover.

Properly torque the head down in the right sequence.

Do not over tighten any bolts, and anti-sieze/loc-tite are your friends.

A little RTV goes a long ways.

There is so much advice to be given on putting a motor back together. If you don't know how to re-assemble it, invite someone over to help you, that has a clue.

Number your main/rod caps. Otherwise the bottom end is the easy part of the assembly. good luck. I'm tearing back into mine in a couple months. Replaced every low end bearing in hopes of tracking down a knock to find out it was a wrist pin. :mad:

Chiltons or haynes manuals are going to be your best friends! Follow them step by step, and take your time, double check everything before moving onto the next step, engine assembly lube.

Chiltons or haynes manuals are going to be your best friends! Follow them step by step, and take your time, double check everything before moving onto the next step, engine assembly lube.

chiltons and haynes are garbage.

main caps are already numbered.

You HAVE to make sure your main caps are set correctly, double and triple check your thrust clearance, use oil when torquing things to get a good reading, etc etc.

Plasti-guage everything. Use a good assembly lube if it's going to be a few weeks before it goes in and runs.

Nothing too radical about them.

Last edited:
Don't bother with a pan gasket as they come from the factory using the awesomeness that is the black FIPG. Make sure the thrust bearings have the right side out or you'll be replacing stuff again in a few days of usage.

By crankshaft clearance do you mean the bearing tolerances? my chiltons/haynes has the numbers listed in the engine section, to be measures with a plastigage.

I'm slightly offended by this thread. Do a LOT of readig in your Chiltons and Haynes. Theyre suprisingly good at working through a rebuild. Plus I know a guy....:fawkdancesmiley:

Give me a break dude, I'm new to this!

No break for you! :D Seriously sit down and just thumb through the engine rebuild part of the book from start to finish. it should have those clearances in the front of the section. :awesomework: just call if you have questions. I have a yoter book i can plop down in front of me and prob find the same stuff you're looking at.:awesomework: