• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re temp issue

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
I got this 22re in my 81 pickup and I have been finding little issues lately that are odd to me. I am almost sure the TPS is bad cause it has trouble idling when warm, stumbles and dies. Runs better with it unplugged. Ever since I installed it, It never really warmed up all the way. I installed a new OEM Tstat when I did the motor swap. The other night driving home from work I moved the heat control from Cold to Heat and the temp started to climb. If I leave the heater on, the coolant temp gauge reads about where it should. Any ideas why this is? Its still the old 1st gen heater and controls, all stock.

One problem that can happen on RE's is that when you first open the heater valve it dumps cooler water right at the thermostat and for a short time it causes the thermostat to close and the engine heats up a bit. I've never had it happen but there are multiple posts on PBB about it.

How old is the radiator? They are prone to plugging internally..

Yup, use a thermal gun or run your hand over the face of the radiator core when its warmed up and see if its hot by the tanks, outlet and inlets but cooler in the radiator core. Feel more than one area as it may be only partially plugged or completely.

But you dont overheat or run hot continually, just when things get changed/adjusted?

We used to run it hot--shut down and put your hand right in the middle of the rad. If there is no flow--there is nooooo heat there.

The truck never runs hot at all... it runs COLD... really cold. But when I open the heater valve to allow water to run into the heater core (heating the cab) the temp gauge moves up to a nice (operationg) temp spot on the gauge. The gauge probe is in the stock spot on this '93 22re.

How clean was the engine when you swapped it in? it may have a plugged line full of gunk.

Are the lines for the throttle body heater in good shape? they seem to be among the first to get full of trash. also, when was the last time the radiator was cleaned internally?

I dont know, I think the temp issue was just a fart. I think its fine, but it does seem to run colder than I think is normal but I dont know. Its got a fresh OEM Tstat when I did the motor swap.

TPS is bad so I am replacing that tomorrow. This will probably cure some other funky running issues its been having. :redneck: